Nikon D90 Announced Today as Planned!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePhotoGuide

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, we've been talking about this one for a while now - Nikon has finally released the D90. This replaces the D80 in Nikon's line of DSLR's. It was predicted that they may also release the D3x or D3s, and no such announcement happened, so that is still a possibility for Photokina. We will have more information on the compatability of the D90 with underwater housings shortly. In the interim, you can click the image below for the press release and some images of the new D90.

So, now Nikon has reached the number 90, and they already have a D100 out (long ago) where do they go to now! :rofl3:

9009 of course! Oops, they already used that one.

Here's the NY Times' review:

If you saw it just sitting there, you’d never guess that the new Nikon D90 is a mind-blowing, game-changing camera.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/technology/personaltech/28pogue.html?hp

Some cool stuff:

At start-up (or on command), the D90 gives that sensor a little shudder to shake off dust that may have entered the camera during a lens change, in that way avoiding shadowy specks in the photos.

Autofocus is nearly instantaneous, shutter lag (the delay after the button is pressed) is zero, and you can snap 4.5 photos a second for as long as you keep the button pressed.

The D90 is the first S.L.R. in the world that can record video.

High-definition video, at that. Stunning, vivid, 720p, widescreen, 1024-by-720, 24-frames-per-second video, with the color and clarity that only an S.L.R. can provide.

But there’s something much bigger going on here. Remember: any control, effect or lens that’s available to the D90’s still photos is now available for videos.

Think of all the freedom you gain that you wouldn’t generally have on a camcorder: control over focus, depth of field and exposure; special effects like fish-eye, monochrome and vivid; and excellent image stabilization when using a Nikon VR lens.

But here’s the real mind-blower: You now have a video camera that takes interchangeable lenses. Before the D90, if you wanted a hi-def video camera with removable lenses, you’d pay $7,000 for the camera alone, and another $7,000 to $20,000 for each lens.

I'm going to get this camera as soon as Subal makes a housing. This will become the favorite of serious amateurs.

I've often wondered why my Nikon Coolpix4600 could record video and my cheap dive camera could, but my Nikon DSLR couldn't. I guess they are finally fixing that. (and doing it great at decent res and 24fps.) does it do sound also?

The sensor shake (at power up) seems like a good idea also. (wonder how that affects the battery?)

I've often wondered why my Nikon Coolpix4600 could record video and my cheap dive camera could, but my Nikon DSLR couldn't. I guess they are finally fixing that.
The reason is that the mirror in an SLR is in the way--and you are right, they finally devised a way to lock it out of the way.

does it do sound also?
Yes, mono though.

The reason is that the mirror in an SLR is in the way--and you are right, they finally devised a way to lock it out of the way.

if the shutter can be held up by the camera for whatever time (or continuous hold) for long exposures, then it can be held up as long as needed.... (like for movies).

to me, this sounds like an excuse because they just didn't want to add it in the past (in order to keep cost down in past years). but now days competition almost requries it....

I imagine that they just didn't want to go to the expense of writting in the software/firmware to grab frames, convert size, and put them in sequence and write to memory card, then write a player to view them on the camera also. (just like VCR makers didn't wanto to add in the extra expense of doing a backup of the time/clock to keep the damn thing from flashing "12:00")

I really like Nikon ( I have one) but I'm confused why they would produce a camera with starting ISO at 200, their competition doesn't do this and neither has their last few productions done this...what are they thinking? Are we to see the new D3 come out with starting ISO at 200 as well? That is just plain ridiculous!!!!

I really like Nikon ( I have one) but I'm confused why they would produce a camera with starting ISO at 200, their competition doesn't do this and neither has their last few productions done this...what are they thinking? Are we to see the new D3 come out with starting ISO at 200 as well? That is just plain ridiculous!!!!

hmmm.... you have a good point. I didn't see that it only went down to ISO200.

That was one of the reasons when I bought my compact D40 that I decided to go with the D40x, because it would go down to IS0 100. (It's replacement the D60 also does ISO 100).

I'm guessing it's a limitation in the sensor....

I found this on the Tech Page on Nikon's website. looks like it will do ISO 100 with some limitations.

Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity 200 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

Lowest Expanded ISO Sensitivity Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent)
Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent) Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent) in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

Battery life went WAY DOWN between the D80 and the D90

The D80 can shoot 2700 shots on one charge, but the D90 only 850 shots (according to NIkons website tech specs on both cameras.) A huge change, but nothing that is going to kill me personally as I'd never shoot 2700 shots at once. But with the D90 having "movie mode", it might be more possible at 24fps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom