Nikon D90 Underwater Shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been reading reviews about the Nikon D90 since its release. I have gotten several chances to get my hands on one in a camera shop as well. I am quite impressed. I have been knocking the idea around of purchasing my first DSLR for about a year now. I think the decision has been made and will probably purchase a D90 in January. I have noticed that there is a housing for it already.

Underwater Housing for Nikon D-90

Eventually I would be interested in getting the housing. I think the live view and video would be useful underwater.

Does anyone have any shots with the D90 underwater? If not does anyone have any plans of getting the setup soon. If so please share your photos.

Thanks

You will see some from me as soon as Sea&Sea makes one...

I have a D90, and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye, but i have not yet purchased the underwater housing. Im waiting to see whats available from Sea&Sea before i make a decision.

I just got my D90 and Ikelite housing last week. I hope to be in the water this weekend. As for the housing, well the cost was more then the camera. It is a beast. I shoot a dual strobe and when put all together it is over 20 lb's. Believe it or not, when I tank tested the housing, it floats. Love the camera. the housing from Ikelite doesnt come with a lens port of any kind, so you have to purchace that seperately. All together, the housing was 1600.00. Pricey, but I hope this is the last camera i will purchase. Reef Photo was the best deal i could find by the way.

Why are both of you guys holding out on Sea&Sea? Do you think they make a better housings?

I know so.

Anyway, I am waiting for them also for another reason (I mean other than believing they are one of the best!) which is I have a good quiver of ports and accessories now for Sea&Sea after almost 10 years of UWPhoto.

I have been diving with housings since 2000, have used Hugyfot F80, Sea&Sea since the NX-80 for a Nikons F80s (which I still got! And just made a few dives with it last week!), DX-D50 and the DX-D80 I just sold out. Have lots of friends diving with me with Ikelite, Aquatica and Subal.

I think the only housing that might beat S&S is Seacam. A few years ago I was sure about it, now with the new MDX line from Sea&Sea, I have my doubts. But of course, being considered the Ferrari of the Housings, it comes to you at good cost.

Ikelite advantage is the value, it's cost-benefit ratio, but it stops right there.

Hugyfot had come a long way from the old models, Stephen Hugenshmidt sold the factory to some new belgium guys and they are doing a good job also, maybe better than Aquatica nowadays. And they are a step ahead with the port adapters they have... you can use any port/dome with Hugyfot housings!

Aquatica and Subal comes next. I don't follow Subal, and have only seen a handfull of housings from them... The new Aquatica D300 housing has the same level of finishing and ergonomics that Sea&Sea reached with the NX-100Pro for the Nikon F100 years ago!!! Recently we had a dive where we could compare side-by-side the Aquatica D300 vs Sea&Sea's MDX-D300... it is a no brainer, believe me.

Of course, one should always have in mind the availability of equipment in your area, but coming from Brazil and living in the Middle-East I was pretty far from everyone else, so I had a clear slate to choose from. So I decided to keep Sea&Sea and now I travel to Singapore to get my Sea&Sea equipment at the best store for S&S stuff that there is!

Good luck in finding your own medicine!!! But as in SLR photography, if you choose the right one from the start, you save lot's of bucks from a complete system make-over...

I know so.

Anyway, I am waiting for them also for another reason (I mean other than believing they are one of the best!) which is I have a good quiver of ports and accessories now for Sea&Sea after almost 10 years of UWPhoto.

I have been diving with housings since 2000, have used Hugyfot F80, Sea&Sea since the NX-80 for a Nikons F80s (which I still got! And just made a few dives with it last week!), DX-D50 and the DX-D80 I just sold out. Have lots of friends diving with me with Ikelite, Aquatica and Subal.

I think the only housing that might beat S&S is Seacam. A few years ago I was sure about it, now with the new MDX line from Sea&Sea, I have my doubts. But of course, being considered the Ferrari of the Housings, it comes to you at good cost.

Ikelite advantage is the value, it's cost-benefit ratio, but it stops right there.

Hugyfot had come a long way from the old models, Stephen Hugenshmidt sold the factory to some new belgium guys and they are doing a good job also, maybe better than Aquatica nowadays. And they are a step ahead with the port adapters they have... you can use any port/dome with Hugyfot housings!

Aquatica and Subal comes next. I don't follow Subal, and have only seen a handfull of housings from them... The new Aquatica D300 housing has the same level of finishing and ergonomics that Sea&Sea reached with the NX-100Pro for the Nikon F100 years ago!!! Recently we had a dive where we could compare side-by-side the Aquatica D300 vs Sea&Sea's MDX-D300... it is a no brainer, believe me.

Of course, one should always have in mind the availability of equipment in your area, but coming from Brazil and living in the Middle-East I was pretty far from everyone else, so I had a clear slate to choose from. So I decided to keep Sea&Sea and now I travel to Singapore to get my Sea&Sea equipment at the best store for S&S stuff that there is!

Good luck in finding your own medicine!!! But as in SLR photography, if you choose the right one from the start, you save lot's of bucks from a complete system make-over...

I know much of what you said is from your personal knowledge and preference just as what I am going to say will be. My opinion on where Subal fits in though in the line up for housings is quite a bit different. I have used/seen several different housings and Subal would be right there at the top. IMHO it easily beats the sea & sea for features/usability however the new sea & sea ones have gotten better and are pretty nice.

For example, most housings don't have a glass dome port, it is plastic. Subal uses glass for its ports and even though they are more expensive, it is better optically and worth the extra cost.

Control layout is much of a personal preference so I won't go into that, but the subal housing like some others is CNC machined from a billet where others are cast.

Anyhow, just personal preference, but some specifics can be compared and conclusions drawn from that.

Ikelite is definitely quick to provide housings and are cheaper than others, but I was not impressed with the ikelite I had used. HUGE and cumbersome.

I really havent seen much Subals lately anyway.
I have a Sea&Sea glass dome port, and you are right, they are worth every kilo-penny. And I was impressed by the level of preciseness on the new MDX housings which allow more compact housings, the MDX-D300 is a good deal smaller than the Subal ND30.

Look at this level of finishing/preciseness:
img10063402433.jpeg

INTERIOR%20TRASERA.jpg

Last edited:
I really havent seen much Subals lately anyway.
I have a Sea&Sea glass dome port, and you are right, they are worth every kilo-penny. And I was impressed by the level of preciseness on the new MDX housings which allow more compact housings, the MDX-D300 is a good deal smaller than the Subal ND30.

I do agree that the new MDX housings are better than the older D200.. that's why I said that Sea & Sea has gotten better recently.. Not sure about being a good deal smaller though.. Depends on the measurement you are looking at..

Subal ND30 245 x 180 x 145 mm (WxHxD) (310mm with handles)
SS MDX300 330 x 163 x 136 mm (WxHxD)

I've seen them side by side and the Subal seems smaller because of the width difference I guess and the height measurement a bit misleading on the subal because of the mount point that sticks up there. The actual housing portion isn't anywhere near that high.

I had the option to buy either, and Sea & Sea would have been a couple thousand cheaper, but I went with Subal. Just my preference when presented with the choices.

d30_02_l.jpg

d30_04_l.jpg

d30_01_l.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom