Nikon One J3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downmountain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody still use a Nikon One set up? I have a brand new Nikon Wp-N2 housing, tray, and Sb-N10 speed light.
I know it’s a bit older set up but since I already have it and its all in 10/10 condition I want to put it to use.

Any things I should look out for? Any recommendations for classes?

I have a Nikon 1 camera. It's a very nice camera but was not aware of housing availability.

What do you mean classes? You mean classes to learn the camera or what.

I have a Nikon 1 camera. It's a very nice camera but was not aware of housing availability.

What do you mean classes? You mean classes to learn the camera or what.
I guess I mean is there one U/W photo course that stands out over others? PADI or SSI or anything else?
I’m on the US gulf coast. Anyone have a particular shop or instructor to recommend.

Feel free to look at my smugmug underwater section and PM me with any questions you might have. I've been doing this for awhile and might be able to help some.
I have given some underwater photo seminars before at NFSA events here at north Florida springs/caves.
Gene
www.pagephotography.smugmug.com

I guess I mean is there one U/W photo course that stands out over others? PADI or SSI or anything else?
I’m on the US gulf coast. Anyone have a particular shop or instructor to recommend.
Just like with regular training, it's all about the instructor you choose rather than the agency. For something like U/W photography, there's not really any point to the card you get - it's just purely about the skills.

Took these in July in St. Croix with a Nikon One J4 in a WP-N3 (got the housing on E-Bay for $50) and a INON D2000 Strobe I had lying around. Used a 18.5mm lens for the camera and wet macro lens for the close-up stuff:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 60
I took my J3 to Fiji this past summer as an attempt to conserve space/weight. I have a bit of regret over that decision as images are just not as crisp as with my D90. Focus was probably my biggest issue. Admittedly though, I don't have many hours behind the J3, so I'm sure with more shooting, I'd learn more nuances of the camera's behavior. I do wish I had a wet lens for macro, that probably would have made a big difference. These are all with my Sea&Sea YS-100a strobes using TTL. I'd still rather use the J3 than any point and shoot or GoPro. Here are a few shots with minimal editing time.

Attachments

• DSC_8318.jpg
    DSC_8318.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_8271.jpg
    DSC_8271.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_8258.jpg
    DSC_8258.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_8103.jpg
    DSC_8103.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_7671.jpg
    DSC_7671.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 32
I still have mine, definitely invest in a cheapo wet wide angle (see sea frogs) and as much light as you can afford. Happy shooting! Also, the mount plate on the bottom of the housing is pretty easy to bust off, secure it on the boat :p

1699322016851.png

1699322361200.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom