Z8 after picture review not working when install in housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishinfol145

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

I recently moved from a D850 to the Z8. The Z8 working well, with one exception.

I usually shoot through the viewfinder. The Z8 can be set to do the picture review on the monitor after shooting with the viewfinder, just as my older DSLRs do.

However, while the function works well when the camera is out of the housing, it does not work when installed in the for a dive.

When shooting through the viewfinder, the photo review is also in the viewfinder (when installed in the housing).

Shooting in Monitor only mode works normally.

On land, the Z8 shows the photo review on the monitor when you pull the camera away from your eye. It seams that the camera senses the housing as something covering the eye piece. The Nikon manual says to use Priority 2 on the viewfinder. I have also tried Priority 1.

Has anyone found a workaround, other than shooting with the monitor full time?

Thx

On Nauticam web site there is a default setup for this funcionality, I had the same issue and fixed following instructions
You were saying...

Time to dig in the menus. Definitely an issue with one of the menu options. The Nauticam z8 housing has a dedicated button for the viewfinder/monitor mode. There are also options in the menu for photo review after shooting. I almost exclusively use the viewfinder when above the the water. I use the monitor WAY more underwater. Maybe it's just older eyes, but I find it easier to use like that underwater. The focus modes actually work (most of the time) and the monitor is good for 'fast action' of fish, etc.

I've had my Z8 for a couple of months now, and I don't ever use the monitor to shoot. An angled viewfinder and the EVF are so superior to any other way to use the camera, it almost seems insane to buy a Z8 or similar mirrorless camera and not use it this way. If you don't have an angled viewfinder, definitely put this in your shopping cart. I am using the older one that I already own, not the new and improved one. It still works great with the Z8 Nauticam, just configure the EVF for the "smaller" mode.

The combination of being able to get low with the 45deg, literally planting the housing on the sand shooting a small subject at eye level and reviewing the images in the EVF without moving a muscle is the true magic of this equipment.

[Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker - Shot last night.]
[Nikon Z8 w/Nikkor 105mm lens, +5 diopter, f16@1/200s iso160 Backscatter MF-2 strobe & snoot + Inon 330]

Redondo Pier February 15, 2024 (202 of 210).jpg

I am having the same problem. I shoot with the viewfinder and when I want to check my images, I cant because the camera sensor wont detect my eye being away from the eyepiece due to the camera housing. I am in the same boat with priority 1 and 2 not working. The only way I can do that is to go back in to the setup menu and switch to Monitor only, and that just burns up battery life and really who wants to shoot with just the monitor? If someone has it figured out, please let us know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom