Nikon Z7ii & Z6ii Cameras' Focusing Speed for U/W Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been very happy with my Z7, using it above water so far on film and television productions. (Along with some photos for Guy Bryant's new cave diving book.) I do intend to get a Z7II at some point, along with a Nauticam housing. I'm still using my D800 above and underwater. Heck, I'd use my Nikon F2 too if clients would allow it!

There is a review of the Nikon Z7II in digital photography review. Their reviews are generally quite good. In doing a quick read, I think they find other systems have special detect features that (like pets) make things easier. Of course, that does not work underwater anyway. They find the focus superior to just about any DSLR and the focus compared to the best as just a bit clunky but gets you there. They rate is as a high silver (not the top but not far off). And there are trade offs. As I mentioned the ISO 64 gives it the best images bar none in those circumstances. A gold rating is usually best in class or right up there. And a high gold (like the Nikon D850) is a great camera.

i have the z7ii. It does pretty well focusing. The image in the view finder is quite bright. And that can fool you. there are times when you need a focus light. On a dslr, it was obvious, you could not see anything. I tend to use single point focus or the next step up. with a 105 macro lens it does pretty well. But on dark subjects, it has problems even with a focus light. it does great on butterfly fish. the autofocus is superior to my old D800 but the new z8 and z9 are better. But it depends on hoe you shoot…. Big fish, wide angle or short macro like the f 60 micro 2.8 and it does just fine and with most macro 105 it is ok too. Just get a bright focus light.

I've been shooting the Z7ii for a little while now and I can say the continuous AF for wide angle is excellent in reasonable lighting conditions. The Z7ii's low light auto focus performance can be frustrating though, so I still use a focus light for darker waters here in CA. I've been told Sony systems are much better in this respect with their additional low light sensitivity? I don't think I've ever seen an A7R4/5 with a focus light on it.

I have yet to find a focus mode that is consistently useful for macro and have had better luck just dialing it in with the focus highlighting feature (or using AF and fine tuning with MF override). This has proved to be much faster and more reliable in my experience but YMMV OFC. I'll add that I'm using an AF-S 105mm for macro and this might be part of the reason I'm having the experience I am. If I had to do it over again I'd get the Z lens with the additional stabilization, thinking the more modern hardware and lack of adapter would give improved focus speed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom