Nikonos, Wide Angle, & Aqualens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob's a wise man...it's a great lens! Nikon is well-known for their excellent optics.

B&H Photo-Video is selling the 15 for $1450 (imported). EBay is certainly another option. B&H's phone # is 800-947-9950, x2061 (ask for Howard, and tell him Bev Speed gave you this info). Howard is an avid UW photographer and extremely knowledgeable about all types of equipment and accessories.

The old style nikonos 15 mm will works fine on all of the nikonos models. as you stated the old style 15 protrudes deep into the camera body and blocks both the TTL and metering sensors. I never use TTL but, I would recommend getting a separate light meter like the Sekonic Marine Meter II, or the newer digital Ikelite meter.

I have both versions of the lens. I still take a Nik III and the O/S 15 on most trips. That combination produces a very compact setup that can be stuffed in a BCD pocket or clipped on a D-Ring. Good to have in case something "Big" happens to pay a visit while I am shooting marco!

the major drawback to the O/S 15 mm is getting it repaired! as parts are scarce. Southern Nikonos may still have some but when those are gone, that's it!

Chris

A note on the "imported" products. Go for it! these are products shipped directly from Japan, folks will say they can not de repaired in the US but this is BS! such nikon products carry the "international" warranty. they can in fact be repaired ( under Warranty ) by Nikons US service center in the US. the difference is that the warranty repairs can not be done by dealers which for me is a moot point as I prefer to have Nikon do all my service and repairs. So far I have never had any Nikon product fail that was due to a defect.

Chris Bangs:
A note on the "imported" products. Go for it! these are products shipped directly from Japan, folks will say they can not de repaired in the US but this is BS! such nikon products carry the "international" warranty. they can in fact be repaired ( under Warranty ) by Nikons US service center in the US. the difference is that the warranty repairs can not be done by dealers which for me is a moot point as I prefer to have Nikon do all my service and repairs. So far I have never had any Nikon product fail that was due to a defect.

Good to know, thanks Chris.

edit bad spelling ( 4 am ) Guam

Mike, for you! when in Yap, send them to Japan Via Guam! I will fill you if on this in you like!

yet another Note on Imported products. for US residents, make sure you keep a copy of the receipt with you when you travel since the imported products do not have the little gold "Passed" sticker on them indicating that they have been imported into the states. In the past these type of products were referred to as "grey market".

for me! not an issue, since nobody knows just what Guam really is :wink:

Gee Chris, I thought I was just about the only Nikonos III user on the board. Good to know I have some company!!!

---Bob

Bob, I have several Nikonos Vs but the III is my favorite! love the film advance! Still have my Nik II as well! even smaller but the erratic film spacing has it designated as a back up!

Also the O/S 15 mm viewfinder with its IMAX view!
is by far My favorite!

Chris, 15mm viewfinder is the only one I use. However, you can "point and shoot" with this lense and the wide angle will usually pick up something. We will have to compare notes if I ever get to traveling 1/2 way around the planet.

Best Always.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Chris, 15mm viewfinder is the only one I use. However, you can "point and shoot" with this lense and the wide angle will usually pick up something. We will have to compare notes if I ever get to traveling 1/2 way around the planet.

Best Always.

---Bob

Ah, shooting from the hip!

Been there done that, Only way to do "close focus wide angle" These images in my gallery was done this way with the 15 set at min focus F 22, like 3 inches from the front of the lens. Only the Nikonos 15 mm can do that! The Aqualens is not suited for this type of shooting.

Image by Chris Bangs (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

Image by Chris Bangs (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

I will actually be on your side of the world next month. staying is So Cal for a bit then heading to the Caribbean.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom