Nine hole golf course approved at OML

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/2510191.html?showAll=y&c=y

RPV resort shrinks as its costs inflate
By Nick Green
DAILY BREEZE

Rising construction costs have prompted the developer of Rancho Palos Verdes' luxury resort at Long Point to reduce the hotel's size by 85,000 square feet and make several other revisions.

In addition, 10 rather than 11 buildings will house outlying villa units and a 180,000-square-foot parking structure will be eliminated, although the number of parking spaces will remain the same.

Moreover, as expected, a nine-hole golf course will replace a driving range deemed superfluous now that Trump National Golf Club has built one a couple of miles down the road.

"There's more and more interest in nine-hole executive courses," Councilman Larry Clark said. "It will provide another golf experience on our Peninsula and in our city, which could be complementary to Trump National."

The reduction in the hotel's size from 500,000 square feet to 415,000 square feet and the elimination of two tennis courts will free up space for more surface parking and landscaping on the 102-acre coastal bluff that once housed the Marineland theme park.

The plan's modifications are not without cost; no longer will every room boast an ocean view.

The revisions will go before the California Coastal Commission in May.

Company officials hope construction of the long-delayed $320 million resort, approved four years ago and originally scheduled to break ground last year, will now start in midsummer. It's hoped that what's now called Terranea will open before the end of 2008.

While the changes received the approval of the City Council on Tuesday, most discussion centered around the safety of one golf hole that sits in front of eight homes.

A pedestrian path is only 110 feet from the center of the green on hole seven, while the homes are only about 130 feet away, resident Dave Emenhiser said.

"I'm for the golf course, I'm for the eight holes, I'm not for hole number seven," he said. "Maybe Terranea would feel better about it aimed at their parking lot rather than our houses."

Company officials said they wouldn't, though that was because the course design would not permit it.

Two golf course design experts -- including one hired by the city to review the layout -- and Lowe Destination Development President Rob Lowe, believed the hole would not create a safety problem, but council members appeared less than convinced.

They urged the company to consider changing the design and set more stringent review criteria after its opening, and they ordered the company to increase its insurance coverage.

Still, given the expert advice, council members adopted a wait-and-see approach.

"One errant golf ball and one child (hit) makes us revisit this in a swift and powerful manner," warned Mayor Steve Wolowicz. "I do have some concerns about the safety of the people back there."

Golf course safety... please. You're killing me with this stuff. One child hit by an errant ball, blah blah blah...

Here's an idea - sell the golf course adjacent house to, you know, A GOLFER!!!!!!! Some friggen bluehair who has a second little door on his garage for his gold cart. Its likely dude is an empty nester - so no crumb crunchers tooling around the back yard on big wheels to get plunked.

This is so stupid. Sell it as Golf Course property. Golfers will buy. They expect this stuff.

Here's an idea - give Jr. a hardhat before you send him outside.

Morons.

---
Ken

I love this.

The Trump National Golf Club makes a driving range superflous, so instead let's build ANOTHER FRACKING GOLF COURSE!!!

I agree with Ken, they're killing me with this stuff.

Their land, I guess they can build what they want. I've never understood the appeal of golf anyway. I would rather watch caterpillars pupate - at least something is happening.

I find this interesting. Talk here on Catalina is that we MUST expand our 9-hole golf course to 18 if we are to draw the executive types. I just sent this article to the head of the Island Co. which is the entity that owns our course. Maybe we can avoid using more of our limited land in Avalon for folks who chase little white balls out into the rough.

As for the sport itself, different "strokes" (in the non-DIR sense) for different folks. Several in my family love golf. My grandfather did and I think the exercise helped him live to be 95. I won't play it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom