Nitrogen Narcosis and Women.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudinut once bubbled...
I would have thought lower haemoglobin levels in women, would be from not eating enough red meat. :rolleyes:

Boy, could I take that and run. However, since this seems to be a PG-13 rated board, I'll try to control myself. hee hee hee

Hi Walter! I of course have no idea if any studies were done, and am just relating what others have told me and my personal experiences. I make no claims as to the accuracy of ANYTHING and I may indeed be (and probably are!) completely full of it.

Believe me (and as you know!) I'm being VERY careful about what I say here for fear of getting ripped a new butthole again.

However, I can say that I've not been narc'd as much as I was on that particular deep dive as I've been on subsequent deep dives. Further deep diving may give me more anecdotes.

I'm still waiting for a medical opinion - ?

Just some food for thought, Babe: (oh, BTW< I am not trying to be mean :)) On that particular dive, can you think of any other variables which might have come into play re: narcosis? I am specifically thinking about things like : was it a strenuous dive (lots of current, cold), poor visibility, hydration level, nervousness, etc.? I think you might have attributed the narcosis to blood donation , when there might actually have been another process at work. Just something to consider....

The dive was beautiful (Blue Hole, Belize) - warm water, great vis, hydated, I was not anxious at all (maybe a little excited!).

I've done deep dives since in warm and cold and not had this degree of narcosis.

I don't know why, as I said. This is all anecdotal. I'll have to acquire some more anecdotes I guess. :D

Well, you just blew my theory out of the water!! Narcosis is variable among individuals, and it also varies in one subject from day to day. I know that I have done dives that left me blasted at 70', done the same dive the next weekend and had no (noticeable) impairment-- who knows?

Walter - I wonder if that might be part of it. While I don't believe we descended faster than 75 fpm, we did descend pretty darn fast. I have not descended that quickly since then. Hmmm. Again, thanks for the tip.

Babe,

If you "did descend pretty darn fast" you probably exceeded the max descent rate of 75ft/min. 75 ft/min is not terribly fast, only 1.25 ft per second. Many divers exceed this rate when they don't think they "did descend pretty darn fast."

Walter once bubbled...
Never descent faster than 75 ft/min.

Hmmmmm.... I believe the average descent rate among the group I dive with is closer to 200 fpm. You'd miss the wreck most every time at 75.

Tom

Well as I remember we went from 0 - 135 in less than 3 minutes. It may have been substantially less than 3 minutes, I don't quite remember. I was narc'd. :D

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've descended that quickly on a deep dive except that once. I've usually gone down a line behind others or made a stop or two on other deep dives.

So, I think you are onto something Walter.

Tom,

I agree. There are situations in which you have to descend quickly. A live boat drop in screaming current is one of them. The average diver never experiences this.

Back
Top Bottom