Nitrox and Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Narced44,

Regarding your doctor--if s/he isn't knowledgeable in diving medicine, and you should feel free to inquire, then s/he's likely to be of limited help in this particular matter. Of course, either the doctor or yourself can submit questions to DAN at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/index.asp.

There isn't much known about the possible effects of stimulant drugs like pseudoephedrine on central nervous system (CNS) oxygen-toxicity (OXTOX) in divers, which seems to be your essential area of concern. You can read more about OXTOX at--->

OXTOX: If You Dive Nitrox You Should Know About OXTOX
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=35

Most of diving medicine's recommendations on this issue are based in theory. Here's is DAN's take, which is well reasoned and stated in plain language---->

Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving?
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=51

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

thanks man..I read all those yesterday..but nothing is really definitive..perhaps i should just skip my medicine those days just in case

Hi Narced44,

What medicine are you taking? Perhaps there's a suitable alternative to consider.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I've been wondering about this myself lately. My wife and I completed our PADI Nitrox course, where they tell you that mixing psudo and nitrox is basically a "no-no".

My wife and I both have mild to moderate allergy's to mold, pollen, the usual suspects, and these usually present as "stuffieness". Not the point where you can't breath thru your nose, or only have one nostral open, but enough to be annoying. So in the past we have taken a 12-hour psudophed here or there.

Now that we've taken Nitrox, we have a week long dive trip scheduled to Bonair next year. One of the "upgrades" we are planning on was going from unlimited air to unlimited nitrox for the week.

So what if anything is recommended for the ocasional stuffieness while on vacation? Generally I prefer to take the "non-drying" liquid caps during normal everyday life when feelling a little stuffy.

it's just that adderall is an Anphedimine and way more of a stimulant than Sudaphed..I am getting nitrox certified on saturday and am just not going to take the medicine. It is for ADHD. But I don't want to be one of those divers that forgets **** and is batty..an ADD diver that is...but i guess it is better than dying..right? As far as there being a suitable alternative..I Don't do well with the non stimulant alternatives. but that is a thought. you would think there would be more stuff about this on the internet.I don't think anyone really knows for sure what affects it has for sure.

Hi Narced44,

As you indicate, the issue hasn't been properly studied and diving medicine really does not know what implications amphetamine-like drugs may have for diving nitrox.

However, a diver with ADHD who skips doses of a prescribed medication like Adderall every time he dives nitrox probably is at increased risk. Safe scuba requires attention to detail, sustained concentration, multi-tasking and proper behavioral control.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss your plans with your psychiatrist and see what he or she recommends about the timing of doses.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi Narced44,

As you indicate, the issue hasn't been properly studied and diving medicine really does not know what implications amphetamine-like drugs may have for diving nitrox.

However, a diver with ADHD who skips doses of a prescribed medication like Adderall every time he dives nitrox probably is at increased risk. Safe scuba requires attention to detail, sustained concentration, multi-tasking and proper behavioral control.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss your plans with your psychiatrist and see what he or she recommends about the timing of doses.

Regards,

DocVikingo
Doc very wise words indeed. I am studying to be a psychiatrist in my 5 year. And I have taken quite a few classes on this. I dive with my medicine all the time. but I also skip my medicine on occassion. if what they say is true about breathing oxygen at substatially increased partial pressures its a cns stimulant then it should work in the same manner as the medicine anyways. never the less developing more checklists should be worth it..so as to not get CNS toxicity. as far as skipping the medicine and diving nitrox..there shouldn't be any correlation. the medicine really doesn't leave much in my system from day to day. I am still going to talk to my doctor about it though. He might even tell me that it is not a good idea to dive with the medicine period. I will you updated

Back
Top Bottom