Nitrox cert by correspondence or online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dl348:
I'm another one who thinks that the dives should not be required for Nitrox certification. The two most important concepts in any entry level Nitrox class are gas analysis and dive planning, both of which are performed ON LAND.

I use my regulator and BCD inflator button the same exact way whether it's 21% Nitrox (which is of course air) or 22% Nitrox in my tank. It's no different.

Just my .02

Yes, its done on land. But the question was if it can be done over the internet. IMHO unless you have done gas analisis in the past there is no way you can learn to do it over the internet and feel confident with the results.

dl348:
I'm another one who thinks that the dives should not be required for Nitrox certification. The two most important concepts in any entry level Nitrox class are gas analysis and dive planning, both of which are performed ON LAND.

I use my regulator and BCD inflator button the same exact way whether it's 21% Nitrox (which is of course air) or 22% Nitrox in my tank. It's no different.

Just my .02

I'm one who thinks that dives should be mandatory. A higher level of awareness is necessary to dive Nitrox, both of your depth/time (which, depending on the blend, will have much shallower/shorter limits) and your buddy's situation (you need to be ready if he goes into an O2 seizure).

Air is more forgiving, and, since your run-of-the-mill resort diver is rarely aware of his own depth (nor is he a good buddy), I strongly support pass/fail dives for Nitrox certification.

Whether you think its ok or not is not the question here, does anyone know where it can be done? if so pony up :D

this is the intro, and doesnt give you much - you cant get a fill from a shop, have to have indirect supervision...

Successful completion of DISCOVER Enriched Air NITROX will allow you to dive with enriched air blends with up to 32 percent oxygen. You'll be able make enriched air dives within the no-stop limits of the air Recreation Dive Planner (RDP) or an air-based dive computer, to a maximum depth of 30 metres/100 feet (depending on current certification level and experience), under the indirect supervision of a PADI professional (Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor) who is enriched air certified.

Blackwood:
both of your depth/time (which, depending on the blend, will have much shallower/shorter limits) and your buddy's situation (you need to be ready if he goes into an O2 seizure).
2 questions come to mind.
1 When does nitrox shorten dive times?
2 How does what gas you are breathing affect your buddies Ox Tox?

Joe

Sideband:
2 questions come to mind.
1 When does nitrox shorten dive times?
2 How does what gas you are breathing affect your buddies Ox Tox?

Joe

1. I was talking about oxygen exposure. You can very easily blow through an entire day's worth of CNS clock if you are breathing a hot mix.

2. It doesn't, but generally buddies should be diving the same profile and thus breathing the same gas.

Blackwood:
1. I was talking about oxygen exposure. You can very easily blow through an entire day's worth of CNS clock during one dive breathing a hot mix.

2. It doesn't, but generally buddies should be diving the same profile and thus breathing the same gas.

1: Easily? That would have to be a silly stupid mix for that dive. The NOAA table gives a single dive time limit of 120 minutes at 1.5 PPO2. That's diving for 2 hours at 99fsw on Ean38 to burn your entire O2 clock on a single dive.

2: I still don't see where that has anything to do with being ready for a buddy going into an O2 seizure. You will have to explain more.

I too think the dives should be required. Its not just the diving- its the tasks through the entire dive trip. If done right one should on the day (or prep) of the dives.

1. Plan the dives with both the RDPs and computer and decide on the best fills.
2. Obtain the fills.
3. Analysis of the fills.
4. Fill out the stickers.
5. Fill out the store log.
6. Set one's computer.
7. BWRAF ensuring he/she has the proper bottle
8. Dive- perhaps on a deep site where one must be aware of depth and the mix. For instance, diving the Speigel Grove using Ean34. One cannot simply chase after a turtle to the sand.
9. Change to the proper bottle. On a crowded boat this is worth noting to a student.
10. Set one's computer for a different mix or ensure one's did not change or default back to air. Again, on a rushed, busy dive boat this can be easily overlooked. Bwraf again.
11. Dive
12. Debrief with the instructor to go over one's profile, pressure group, task loading, etc...

How can this be a bad idea or waste of time? Everyone gets on the agencies, especially PADI, for being too easy, then gets ticked when the class has high standards?

Blackwood:
1. I was talking about oxygen exposure. You can very easily blow through an entire day's worth of CNS clock if you are breathing a hot mix.

This is exactly why I never want to see these things done on-line.

I hope to hell that over and above that "needless" classroom work, video watching and bookwork, that the Instructor is going to give you that real world understanding that only comes with experience.

Most of you need way more instruction than you think you do.........and that's the real problem.

Quite frankly, diving Nitrox correctly basically eliminates the requirement to track O2 exposure at all. I teach it as per the book, and then go on and add quite a bit of reality to it, which the students from my understanding, find invaluable. O totally agree that folks should know HOW to track it, then I give them a way to not really worry about it, then I enforce that on the required dives.

I will conceed you might not be better off even with the classroom and practical dives, but at least you've got a chance at it this way.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom