NITROX manual in electronic format?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was able to find a seat in a EAN class with a local PADI dive instructor tomorrow night. Cutting it close, but will work out perfectly.

PS, now let me open a can of worms by asking... why does about everybody up charge $5 for NITROX, but as a big surprise, in Cozumel the going rate is more like $15? I'd expect G.C. to be at the top ;-)

Save yourself some money and spend it on the ship. You are not going to be able to take advantage of NITROX. You will be lucky if you can get one two tank dive at each stop. The ship may not leave without you, but there will be hell to pay if you are late, late. You need to carry all the gear you are going to dive with to make sure what you have will be serviceable and/or safe. You don't know what kind of rental you may get, so if you have problems and cause delays getting on site, there will be delays getting back to the ship. If you carry your gear, you are going to have to hump it to the pickup point both to and from the ship.

A cruise ship is probably the worst option to try and dive from, because your time is limited, the ship is a long way from the transport and too many things can go wrong to cause you to miss the diving or miss the ship. I know... My wife had never been on a cruise before and I gave her one for Christmas. I had the hair-brained Idea that I could dive at each stop. I did, but I busted my ass trying to do it in the time window I had. And because of the short time, the dive operation has a limited location selection. You don't have time to reach the good stuff, especially in Belize.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2013 at 12:08 PM ----------

I was able to find a seat in a EAN class with a local PADI dive instructor tomorrow night. Cutting it close, but will work out perfectly.

PS, now let me open a can of worms by asking... why does about everybody up charge $5 for NITROX, but as a big surprise, in Cozumel the going rate is more like $15? I'd expect G.C. to be at the top ;-)

The oxygen in the air is free.. It costs money to pressureize air, it costs more money to seperate out the oxygen from the Nitrogen and contain it, it costs more money (training and labor) to mix the additional Oxygen to the air for the dive mix, it cost more money to maintain the gear - including the tanks for Oxygen use, especially if PP blending. I know it costs me more money and I blend my gases myself. If you want to talk about gas expense, try a TRIMIX blend.

Back
Top Bottom