Nitrox set up question on PST-80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon:
Where do you get this from? Whether a tank is nitrox ready depends on [1] the manufacturing environment, and [2] the shipping method.

PST states that their tanks come O2 clean. They're shipped with the valve on and a small amount of gas in the tank.

Some other tanks I'm not so comfortable with and we clean, vis and sticker them.

MikeFerrara:
PST states that their tanks come O2 clean. They're shipped with the valve on and a small amount of gas in the tank.

Some other tanks I'm not so comfortable with and we clean, vis and sticker them.

Called "Divers Direct" the company that i bought my tank from and their rep told me they have received many calls concerning the steel tanks being 02 cleaned.

They told me that consulting back with PST, that the manufacturer said to tell their customers who purchased steel tanks to have them 02 cleaned anyway.

Although stated in the literature that was provided with the tank, it stated the the nrx valve was nitrox ready. I mentioned this to the rep of Divers Direct and he said he he was aware of this but did not think the cylinder itself was nitrox cleaned.

Anyway it sounds like the manufacturer & vendors want to skirt the issue. Most probably a "explosion factor" in which they want to protect themselves.

Ask if i call PST and Divers Direct said they probably tell me the same thing .

Anyway this made for a great discussion for i will go ahead and have the tank & valve 02 clean anyway.

I value my life as well of others to much to created a explosion.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Huh, thats funny. Because when I call PST, they tell me the cylinders and valves are O2 cleaned, and ready for partial pressure filling in the cylinder. I always look in the cylinders anyways, to look for contaminants (Never found any, but have heard of one cylinder that did come thru with something inside that caused rust). Lots of shops will want you to believe that they are not O2 clean so they can hit you with an additional $40-45 charge for cleaning a cylinder. LOOK at the info that is provided with your cylinder. Then, if you are not satisfied, call PST yourself...

LUBOLD8431:
Huh, thats funny. Because when I call PST, they tell me the cylinders and valves are O2 cleaned, and ready for partial pressure filling in the cylinder. I always look in the cylinders anyways, to look for contaminants (Never found any, but have heard of one cylinder that did come thru with something inside that caused rust). Lots of shops will want you to believe that they are not O2 clean so they can hit you with an additional $40-45 charge for cleaning a cylinder. LOOK at the info that is provided with your cylinder. Then, if you are not satisfied, call PST yourself...

Thanks Lubold:

I will make that call. No doubt , thats what i should of done in the very beginning... Yes, i always thought the some dive shops would try to make a extra buck off of ya.

thanks again. I'll get this subject nailed down.

Lubold, you were right. Just got off the phone with PST and they verified that the cylinder shipped from the factory is 02 cleaned.

Finally solved... wow...

Garfish:
Called "Divers Direct" the company that i bought my tank from and their rep told me they have received many calls concerning the steel tanks being 02 cleaned.

They told me that consulting back with PST, that the manufacturer said to tell their customers who purchased steel tanks to have them 02 cleaned anyway.

Although stated in the literature that was provided with the tank, it stated the the nrx valve was nitrox ready. I mentioned this to the rep of Divers Direct and he said he he was aware of this but did not think the cylinder itself was nitrox cleaned.

Anyway it sounds like the manufacturer & vendors want to skirt the issue. Most probably a "explosion factor" in which they want to protect themselves.

Ask if i call PST and Divers Direct said they probably tell me the same thing .

Anyway this made for a great discussion for i will go ahead and have the tank & valve 02 clean anyway.

I value my life as well of others to much to created a explosion.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Spend your money how ever you want but I've been a PST dealer for several years. I know what PST says about the tanks and I know that I wouldn't dare charge a customer for O2 cleaning one.

I did get a defective tank once so now I do pull the valve off and look inside but I don't do anything unless something doesn't look right.

I'm also the guy who blends gas in them and have pumped thousands od cubic feet of pure Oxygen into these tanks.

I say that divers direct couldn't find their fanny with both hands if they told you that.

MikeFerrara:
I say that divers direct couldn't find their fanny with both hands if they told you that.
But could they find it with both hands and an 18 watt HID canister light? :11:

Christian

LUBOLD8431:
...I always look in the cylinders anyways, to look for contaminants ..
LOL. If you find one make sure to post a pic...

MikeFerrara:
Spend your money how ever you want but I've been a PST dealer for several years. I know what PST says about the tanks and I know that I wouldn't dare charge a customer for O2 cleaning one.

I did get a defective tank once so now I do pull the valve off and look inside but I don't do anything unless something doesn't look right.

I'm also the guy who blends gas in them and have pumped thousands od cubic feet of pure Oxygen into these tanks.

Looking in the tank is common sense, especially if you've had an issue in the past. I simply was trying to convey that the cylinder manufcturers don't have an *O2* process for fabricating tanks and a separate process for air. They are all the same. They are clean, unless there is a specific issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom