Nitrox Specialty with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Padi Enriched air course is a evening classroom session only course. I would strongly suggest reading the book and answering the questions before you go to class. You want to be familiar with the material and the concepts. That way, you can ask the instructor to explain those areas you are unsure about.

The thing that I find rather amazing is that most people I see in classes seem to take the classes for the credentials. They forget that the class is supposed to give you a certain set of knowledge and skill so you don't suffer an adverse outcome when you dive.

I don't dive with Nitrox very often but it can come in handy at times. So it is a nice skill to have.

I took it with PADI... So I could fill my tanks with it. I went in with the knowledge from reading everthing I could get my hands on including the Padi book and DVD. No diving even though it would have been a nice touch. $75 is all you should have to pay... $100 at the most or look elswhere to take the class. There is not much to it and in all reality its the instructor that makes all the differance.

after reading some of the instructor replies here i really feel like my LDS is ripping me off ...

A dive shop has a hard time competing with "the price" of an independent instructor on nitrox, especially for one student. Better deals can be bartered sometimes, as the number of students goes up. Sometimes the relationship with a good LDS is worth paying a little extra.

Also, the shop probably has a real gas mixing/filling set up, some nitrox divers would pay extra for seeing that vs the independent instructors pictures of mixing stations if your lucky an' analyze a couple tanks.

The rare independent instructor has a killer mix/fill set up. He probably costs more than the dive shop, but for some people that's the right price.

:idk:

All three nitrox certs above allow one to dive nitrox, and all three "venders" may well have many satisfied customers.

:coffee:

after reading some of the instructor replies here i really feel like my LDS is ripping me off ...

Unfortunately that it becoming a reality any more. With diving being a sport so many want to enjoy and love it was not until more recent times it has become affordable for the average diver. You see alot of LDS complain because people save money by buying on the internet and they use the excuse that you should support them. Funny though I never see them leave all of their electrical appliances on to make sure there are no layoffs at the power plant.

If you find a better deal from an independant just remember the value is not what people place on it. Its what you place on it. So if you feel saving a couple hundred dollars is a great value then it is. If you would prefer to spend hundreds more for the added value of keeping a business going then its a good value also! Value is what the person wanting to buy places on it not the seller.

I took the SSI Nitrox a few years ago because I thought PADI was requiring 2 dives. Did they change their course or was I wrong?

I took the SSI Nitrox a few years ago because I thought PADI was requiring 2 dives. Did they change their course or was I wrong?
'Yes', and 'I don't know'.

The PADI course was changed, several years ago, to a 'diving optional' course. I don't know what you would consider 'wrong'. When did you elect to take the SSI course instead of the PADI course?

Feeling A little ripped off by PADI - $199 might be a fair price including the two hours of hands-on experience (I'm taking the hands-on part tonight), but for $200, it should allow me to printout a book or manual, which it does not - that's just a rip-off.

The online courses pay for the instructor, not the student. Unless you are truly time limited, the instructors are the only ones who benefit from online because the money is out of your pocket, they get a portion of it from PADI and it significantly reduces their class time with you.

In 2004 the PADI course involved two dives.

I use the stuff regularly to give me longer bottom time at some sites

Back
Top Bottom