NMOF & MOF, but MOB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I always try to keep up on the latest fashion trends in scuba and I've noticed for some time now people wearing their masks backwards on their heads between dives.

Now I know there's been a raging debate about No Mask On Forehead and Mask On Forehead, but now Mask On Backwards???
The proponents of NMOF say that wearing a mask on the forehead will lead to getting it blown off by a wave which could lead to serious injury or even death, and the general teaching climate in the scuba industry frowns upon MOF.
But now I'm seeing MOB by some of the more elite groups. Is this some sort of new coolness statement or secret cool club I need to know about?

I'm just wondering if it's a similar thing to those bro hammers you see driving around with all the tattoos, the tap out sticker and or the west coast cycle german cross sticker in the back windows of their lifted Avalanche or pick up, the straight billed hat mounted backwards or to the side, or the sunglasses expertly positioned backwards on their heads as a fashion statement that never get used.

How come the leaders of the scuba world haven't said something about this new trend. It would seem to me that MOB could be just as hazardous as MOF.

Just wondering :idk:

Can't think of anything clever to say except, "great post!" :rofl3:

I think it's a fashion trend, like backward hats

I dive a long-hose configuration, and with the mask around my neck "necklace-style" it impedes access to the necklaced backup reg on the surface.

Since sometimes I'd rather not have the mask on my face or in my hand, where to put it? On my forehead? A-HA! But then, the self-appointed scuba (fashion) police will raise hell with me. So I flip it around, meaning it's still on my forehead, but I get left alone. It seems that the backwards mask indicates a "serious/tech/experienced/STFU-I-know-what-I'm-doing diver". How or why I don't know.

Some may do it for fashion, but I do it for a purpose.

(I only go actual Mask-On-Forehead when vintage diving, where it in fact, makes you cool.)

It was the 'proper' way to wear the mask out of the water in my GUE Fundementals class.

:hm:

Is this some sort of new coolness statement or secret cool club I need to know about?

If you have not been asked to join the club ranks yet then you already know too much..

I actually think I have some input on this. Wearing your mask on your forehead usually makes the mask fit looser (while on your forehead) due to the strap being adjusted to fit horizontally (approxiamtely) around your head. This puts you at risk for having the mask knocked off. By putting it on backward, you have it tight to your head AND out of the way.

I feel so smart now.

MOB isn't exactly what I'd call a "new" trend ... I've got dive buddies who've been doing that longer than I've been diving.

By the way, it's really MOA (mask on afthead).

Personally, until I grow eyes in the back of my head, my mask stays facing forward ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I actually think I have some input on this. Wearing your mask on your forehead usually makes the mask fit looser (while on your forehead) due to the strap being adjusted to fit horizontally (approxiamtely) around your head. This puts you at risk for having the mask knocked off. By putting it on backward, you have it tight to your head AND out of the way.

I feel so smart now.

so, then the "split strap" is to see through? :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom