No BCD diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you anticipate this, why not pick up a rock from the bottom to carry on the ascent?
That was a recommnded procedure, in the day.

Most times there aren't any rocks to pick up. Maybe fill a bag with sand.

if you anticipate this, why not pick up a rock from the bottom to carry on the ascent?
That was a recommnded procedure, in the day.

I have plenty of rocks between my ears, no need to steal potential homes from the little critters on the bottom :rofl3:

Actually, I have picked up rocks when necessary. Usually wasn't, however :wink:

Best wishes.

Even nice rounded smooth basalt which may feel good stuffed down your pants and around your beaver tail and up your jacket still weighs like feathers, then there's the rusty black muck bits of ships.
Hard to find brass these days.

Forget it. No more. Elevator diving with a horse collar with a bottle rules.

Did I already say that somewhere. It's hard to remember 1500 4 line average posts.

Since the development of the Wing there is no need any longer to dive without a buoyancy aid. I pre date all the buoyancy devices since I self taught myself to dive in 1964. I have tried and refused to use every device( life jacket, horse collar, ablj, stab jacket) over the years as they are all designed to work on the surface and compromise the diver underwater. The Wing is the only design I would use or bought as it is designed to work for the diver underwater and the compromise is on the surface. It took the dive industry a long time to design something that works and keeps that feeling of freedom, the rest have always been a waste of money.

Actually BP/Ws go back into the late 1960s or early 1970s with what was then called the "ATPAC." All you needed to do was ditch the stupid hard plastic faring.

Since the development of the Wing there is no need any longer to dive without a buoyancy aid. I pre date all the buoyancy devices since I self taught myself to dive in 1964. I have tried and refused to use every device( life jacket, horse collar, ablj, stab jacket) over the years as they are all designed to work on the surface and compromise the diver underwater. The Wing is the only design I would use or bought as it is designed to work for the diver underwater and the compromise is on the surface. It took the dive industry a long time to design something that works and keeps that feeling of freedom, the rest have always been a waste of money.

I agree somewhat.

I see no reason to dive without a BC, if you don't want to put air in it FINE, but in an emergency (especially in a situation where you might have to rescue and support another diver), not having a BC will seriously compromise your safety and effectiveness. Even in warm water with little or no wetsuit, I just feel irresponsible and compromised without the availability of the BC.

I worked on a boat where the staff wore no BC's (only 12 yrs ago) and it made me nervous. If there is ever a dive accident, a dive professional who chose not to use a BC, would have some 'splainin to do.

I have plenty of rocks between my ears, no need to steal potential homes from the little critters on the bottom :rofl3:

Actually, I have picked up rocks when necessary. Usually wasn't, however :wink:

Best wishes.

It might be a useful tool in your bag of tricks. Say you lost weight pockets with lead during the dive, or powered down a descent line (or pulled down an anchor line without a weight belt and then realized you are way underweighted... etc... I've done it a few times.

Until last year, I never owned, or even used, a BC. Without a wetsuit and diving a steel 72, I am just slightly negative at the beginning of a dive and slightly positive at the end. Diving in a pair of cutoffs and a tee shirt, I need no weight and can easily snorkel on the surface (to conserve air) at anytime during a dive. However, for years practically all my diving has been solo, so my only responsibility was to myself. Since I started diving with my sons, I started to wear a BC when diving with them and others. Not for myself, but for them. I never use one underwater. It's there primarily, as has been said, for an emergency where I might have to render assistance to another diver. Or in case I'm feeling lazy and want to bob on the surface without effort.

This past September, I got some instruction on the use of a BC from my friend (an instructor) and did a specialty on buoyancy control to fine tune the use of a BC, then promptly went back to not using it during a dive. I weight myself so that a BC is not really needed.

I still enjoy going out by myself with just one of my 72s and my double hose because I like the freedom, simplicity and ease of movement ultra-minimalist diving offers. For me, diving without wetsuit or BC is much easier, less complicated and, honestly, more fun than the more complicated method of diving with lots of gear hanging off me.

But, to each his own. It really comes down to one's own confidence level and what one is comfortable with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom