No Jetways Planned for Owen Roberts Airport Renovation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't care if they spend the money for jetways or not. Just make it big enough to handle that Saturday busy rush. I've been rained on before, unlike sugar I did not melt.:D

Totally agree. Don't care about the sun or the rain. But, it does get so crowded that the lines spill out of the building. And, they're so slowwww (or maybe it just feels that way because I'm excited to get in!).

I don't really understand why they couldn't just build a series of ramps connected by covered walkways. Make the ramps go up to adjustable height jetways that can connect to whatever size plane is there. Seems like about $2 million in concrete and jetway equipment to me...not sure why they think it is a $20 million dollar problem. I know everything is more expensive there, but that is kind of ridiculous.

You are assuming the whole of the $20 million will go to actually building said jetway......

I rarely travel to the Caribbean without a folding umbrella or one of those plastic ponchos-in-a-bag. It always rains in the tropics some time. Who cares, I'm going to dive and get wet. I also carry a little hand travel fan that is a life saver on those island hopper planes with no ventilation. Also have a few chill out wipes that are a blessing when the temp and humidity are high.

Cool Off is a moistened towelette loaded with natural cooling herbs, moisturizing botanicals and essential oils. Cool Off leaves bodies feeling cool for up to an hour and a half – reapplication requires a little water. All natural Cool Off towelettes are marketed to help you beat the heat on the road.

www.thequickchill.com

Independent of a new airport being built or not, the real issue here is the increasing number of medical tourists, and how to get more wheelchairs off planes. For the rest of us, no big deal, ramps or no ramps.
Maybe Dr Shetty wants to pay for ramps?

While I have no problem with the usual island style and in some ways it's nice, there's also something to be said for not going directly from A/C to hot/humid/rain, while carrying stuff, up or down the stairs. I think people used to living in that climate often really don't get what it can be like for someone who isn't.

Curacao added jetways in their expansion - I was surprised the first time I saw that but it was kind of nice. Given the amount of money and general 1st-worldness of Cayman it's sort of surprising they wouldn't do this in a major renovation - even without medical tourism or just the fact that Cayman isn't exactly a backpacker destination.

No worries. Like every other CI government related project, there will be talk and talk and talk for years and nothing will ever get built. (with or without jetways )

The airport is not a part of central government. The project was put out to tender by the Cayman Islands Airport Authority, which has substantially more independence to get things done as a statutory authority.

Hey. It worked.

Cayman Airways has already received portable boarding ramps for use at Owen Roberts International Airport in Grand Cayman and for Charles Kirkconnell International Airport in Cayman Brac.

I get to try them out soon!
Cayman Airways gets new boarding ramps

And I boarded a flight at GCM today with one of the ramps. A little on the steep side, but not hard to do. Looked like a good non-skid setup. And it sure made things easier and more dignified for a wheelchair passenger on our flight who didn't have to be carried up the steps in a stranger's arms.

Back
Top Bottom