no more diving at Blue Spring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
The only thing that weirded me was mama left itty bitty with me while she cleared the spring of 'unwanted' people then came back to collect Jr - I know I'm a big dude, but c'mon.. do I really look like another 'tee???

Okay.. nobody answer that question :D

Colin,

I would like to say it's your personable nature or maybe even the speedos you may wear from time to time but who are we kidding

To answer the orginal question, this type of thing has been in force seasonally to an extent when manatees are up in the headspring basin, but not this extreme just to close it for months at a time. The swimming area used to be cordoned off as well as access to the headspring from the stairwell up towards the spring. The swimmers/divers would be called out if manatees came within those cordoned areas and out of their sanctuaries. It looks like even these might no longer be allowed.
metaldector:
This raises several issues: #1, if the diver/swimmer in question was observed harassing the manatee Federal Law protects the animal and the individual should be arrested and prosecuted. All divers sign an agreement upon entering the State Park stating that they know they are to stay 50’ away from manatees. Swimmers sign no such document.
We could certainly appeal for swimmers to do so if they want to use the park. It would take a lot more time to do of course as we are talking several hundred per day vs just 30-35 max divers per day. However i dont believe the general public who swims there is really made too aware of the restrictions - a couple of poorly placed signs does not an information program make. Over in Crystal River you have to watch the video before you go out there on one of the trips.
#2. Is this ban legal? What discretionary authority does the Park have to enact this “law”? When across the State Crystal River actively promotes “Diving with the manatees”?
They are also sanctuaries and the fish and wildlife folks are there to make sure you dont enter the sanctuaries or chase the manatees around - although there is still plenty of harrassment IMO. You can swim with the manatees in the St Johns River just outside the park assuming you dont get there from the state park property - that is the real difference, they are trying to enforce their interpretation (albeit a little conservative) on those who enter the water from their property - open water is fair game and Crystal River remains that until the state buys it out.
#3: What is the economic impact to local Orlando area dive shops who rent gear, do air fills, and training dives at Blue Spring?
Probably very little. Most dive centers around here seem to head to the coast or hit Lake Denton (until the locals try to close that up as well). Again only having 35 max divers per day spread out amongst at least 12 dive stores in the greater Orlando area is not that many fills or students to really affect their business. I dont know how tough it is to get a permit to teach in the state parks.
Finally, two thoughts, should this ban be allowed to stand we could find that Park closed to divers and swimmers from October to March (6 months).
At this time it appears that this ban is standing, if we can lobby and change policy that might do something about it, but it is standing in that approximate form for the near future.

Secondly, couldn’t a solution to the issue be found, such as placing a large net across the river run below the entry area to keep the manatees away from divers and swimmers? This net would allow the first 200 feet to the run from the boil to the entry area for human use and the remainder for animal use?

Now the question is what we as active divers can do to resolve this Park action? Do we have a diving attorney to contact versed in Park and Federal waterway issues? Would petitions to the State benefit this issue?

It’s difficult to believe that a few individuals can effect the whole area diving community by their total disregard of environmental rules, but it happened. Now how can the responsible diving community acting together resolve this issue?

Let’s keep the discussion to real solutions.
The only thing i see as a problem of a net is the manatees getting caught and not being able to get up to the surface to breathe (see the dolphin problems with driftnets). The stairwell might work, except that the bank is receeding somewhat every year with rainfall, traffic of tourists and the flow from the boil itself swirling around - if they tried to anchor the wall with nails or something it would most likely look ugly and take away from the natural appeal of the scarp that is currently there. I dont know if there is an effective way to prevent the manatees from getting to the headspring or getting divers more directly to the spring, but it doesnt mean that the subject cant be brought up with the managers of that or the state-wide state park system. I am sure they are losing money operating without the same number of visitors in the winter (and i count swimmers as their main source of income, not divers) from the stricter enforcement of the anti-harrassment policies.

CBulla:
The only thing that weirded me was mama left itty bitty with me while she cleared the spring of 'unwanted' people then came back to collect Jr - I know I'm a big dude, but c'mon.. do I really look like another 'tee???

Now if that's not the sweetest thing...:wink:

Baby-sitter to marine mammels.

CBulla:
I know I'm a big dude, but c'mon.. do I really look like another 'tee???

Well, buddy, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up.......:lol2:

Thought I'd let y'all know that Marta from Castaway Scuba taught a private lesson at Blue Spring yesterday. She said they are letting divers in when the Manatees go out.

DivesWithTurtles:
Thought I'd let y'all know that Marta from Castaway Scuba taught a private lesson at Blue Spring yesterday. She said they are letting divers in when the Manatees go out.

Gee, I'd like to have private lessons with Marta :mrcool:

They can be overly cautious at Blue Spring, and it's a real pain. We were in the main spring one year when Georgia and her two calfs came in. One calf bothered me and the other my buddy. The calf who bothered my buddy kept it up and he splashed water on it: BIG MISTAKE. They were waiting at the ramp and wanted to take one of us to jail.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom