No one likes Jacket Inflates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just said sand because during OW a lot of teachers have their students sit on the sand so they don't float around and stuff, sorry for not being specific. And when I say easier for resting on the sand, the same idea applies for easier rest on the surface, either back inflate or jacket can do this, but jacket is easier supposedly.

If you are really lean, then with the warm waters in Florida you may need to consider an aluminum plate, if steel is too heavy. Steel is fine for most people, but those that are really thin, and thus negatively buoyant themselves, have aluminum as an option.

Steel works fine for me.

BTW, I also remember the horsecollar B/Cs. However mine did indeed have a CO2 cartridge. That would be un-thinkable these days, but that is the way it was back in those days!

Both versions are fine...as long as you are taught/develop good buoyancy.

Cheers.

-J.-

I think this sums it up well. I would only add comfort. I have an Aeris Coral BC (jacket)
and it works well. Just purchased a BP/W recently and it's great also. If I had to stick with one, I would pick my BP/W just because of future plans and versatility.

Jacket BCs are great for new divers and people who aren't 100% comfortable in the water. Being able to float at waist-level out of the water can be very reassuring. Also good for instructors who want to float high when demonstrating techniques to beginners.

Once you are comfortable in the water, less buoyancy usually means less bulk/drag. I'm 5'8" 200lb. I have a small wing with 17-lb lift. It floats my head and shoulders above water. And it is streamlined underwater. Feels like flying on drift dives. And very stable out of the water, such as when walking into a shore dive. My plate is 6-lbs and I don't need to add weight when I dive warm water. Highly recommended.

That said- a jacket that fits well serves millions of divers well. Important you get a good fit. If your body changes significantly(gain/lose weight) you may need to buy a new BC. For a BP, you only need to adjust the straps.

Some well-designed jackets have bungies that compress the jacket when the air is let out. Otherwise, the jacket can act like a parachute on a dragster...

Yesterday I was diving with a skilled guy. Mike is horizontal in the water. Using a jacket BC, there was a small amount of inflation around his tank, right in the middle of his back. That air was "back buoyancy".

The "wings" BC looks more streamlined than the jacket when both are filled. When are you going to swim underwater with a BC 100% full of air? And, if it is not full of air, is the shape all that significant? Anyhow, Mike looked good using that jacket.

BTW, my first BC was a Swimaster "pop up" vest. It has a little inflator tube that looked like it was from a truck wheel. CO2 also. It even had a zipper up the front. I finally pitched it three years ago and then found out it was a collector's item.

Chevrolet is the only way :eyebrow: Ford and Dodge are second rate :shakehead:

I have a SP classic and a SP Glide. No problems with either. I would like to try a back inflate or a wing, but for now it will have to wait.

I dive with and without a BC. Have them from horsecollars to stab jackets to BP/W. I can dive them all comfortably. It is more important that you become proficient in using whatever fits your needs. Appreciate the opinions from experienced divers but I think it is more important to get skilled at using whatever you choose than it is to dive something all the other kids have and not using it efficiently. Each system has its advantages in one area or another.

I think sometimes comparing Jackets to BP/W's is like apples and oranges. The biggest problem is that not all jackets are created equal.
Most of the higher end jackets have addressed most of their supposed short comings. For example my proQD does not squeeze me when inflated, has metal D-rings all over the place, holds tons of weight, and when properly fitted is pretty streamlined. The number one feature is that it is remarkably comfortable.
The guy next to me with his BP/W and his LP121 tank brags about how streamlined he is.
Then he proceeds to strap the contents of a small dive shop to himself before he jumps in the water.
Dive with what works for you and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom