Nomad Weight Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is the lead itself behaving in the pockets? Does it move to any annoying degree on the back or do the pockets keep it snugged in nice? Can you foresee problems with smaller/hard/soft weights being used or if one only used something, say, in the upper pockets?

I Puchased it the first week it was out.Before the price went up .And have used it few times to date.Im a big fan of Dive rite products but this isnt a winner for them. Nothing thickens even after an hour in the water.At the end of the dive it's riding high 1.25"above the back of the nomad I Hate the idea of cutting up new gear.Ill have to see if I can return it.

I will be going to Beneath the Sea this weekend in New Jersey, and Lamar will be there. I will print these concerns and show them to him. Lets see what he has to say...ya never know!

On mine, I attach it with the pockets facing in and it does indeed make the grommet holes "compress" to 11" when weight is there. If you attach it pocket openings out no amount of weight will change the relative distance between holes.

How is the lead itself behaving in the pockets? Does it move to any annoying degree on the back or do the pockets keep it snugged in nice? Can you foresee problems with smaller/hard/soft weights being used or if one only used something, say, in the upper pockets?
They don't shift and they stay secure - I used a variety of 2-5 pound hard weights, but I suspect the soft variety works just as well.

On mine, I attach it with the pockets facing in and it does indeed make the grommet holes "compress" to 11" when weight is there. If you attach it pocket openings out no amount of weight will change the relative distance between holes.
Well now there is a statement that makes perfect sense. I normally develop those out of the box insights right away. Definitely an off week.

It also addresses the concern for the snag/wedging potential for the weights on the "top" of the plate. Put it on upside down and the weights are now under what amounts to a smooth curved shell - fewer potential snags and no possibility of losing a weight.

Maybe what Lamar needs to add is just directions - either on the website or in the package.

I'm looking at the same purchase; only problem is that in my drysuit, with thermals, plus steel 100cf/12L tank, I carry 24-28lbs of lead, whereas the weight plate only carries 16lb. This will only get worse if I go to Aluminium tanks.

How would it be if I obtained/made a s/s backplate complete with weight pockets, to bolt onto the Nomad, giving myself the ability to carry quite a bit more?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom