Non double bag style wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems like the companies who used to make wings without an outer shell (where the inner bladder was the outer shell) like the Pioneer are switching to double bag designs ... what small singles wings are still available without using an internal bladder/external shell design? Does Oxycheq have one still?

I ask because I've been really happy with my old Pioneer, and while my next wing will most likely be a DSS Taurus I'd curious if anyone is making really basic wings still...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I ask because I've been really happy with my old Pioneer...

Me too, Tim.

I think that OXY still makes the single layers. Give me a bit and I'll think of a few others.

kidspot:
Seems like the companies who used to make wings without an outer shell (where the inner bladder was the outer shell) like the Pioneer are switching to double bag designs ... what small singles wings are still available without using an internal bladder/external shell design? Does Oxycheq have one still?

I ask because I've been really happy with my old Pioneer, and while my next wing will most likely be a DSS Taurus I'd curious if anyone is making really basic wings still...

Aloha, Tim

Halcyon still has the pioneer. Oxycheq has the razors* listed on their site (18#, 30# and 45# for singles and 50# for doubles), and Apeks has the WTX-3 30# single wing, which I believe is single-layered.

I'm not familiar with the Dive-Rite wings, but maybe their travel and/or venture wing could be single layered? What about OMS? There may be other brands with single bladder wings, but apart from the ones mentioned already and DSS, Golem Gear, Agir-Brokk, ScubaL and Dir Zone (which to my knowledge don't have single-layered wings) I hardly see any of the others mentioned, or at least no others come to mind right now.

Well, I guess I've seen others too; Abyss, Custom Divers, Deep Outdoors, DUX, Jet Harnness, Zeagle... but I know nothing about their wings - almost nobody talks about them here.

I've tried my girlfriend's razor 30 and I liked the wing a lot. It's not as durable as a double-layered wing of course, but it's cheaper, lighter and there's one less bag to drag around underwater.

By the way kidspot, if you have a chance you should update your wing chart for the number of layers for each wing.

* I've seen the single tank razors are also referred to as Oxycheq standard wings.

I dive a deep outdoors I believe most of there wings to be "double bagged" . . . as in the bladder is inside of a nylon sleeve, If thats not what you meant by double bladder opps and ignore me :wink:

All the DR wings are "double bagged" -

jhbryaniv - yeah, that's exactly what I mean ... just not sure how to word it...

Thanks Floater and Stephen - I didn't realize the razor was a "single bag" design. I know they are considered less durable, but they pack up so much smaller and are really streamlined in the water.

Aloha, Tim

I know I could never use one, it would be dead in a month. I'm just too rough on gear......that being said I'll probably never be allowed to borrow your light again. =(

I think Apeks does

I've heard mixed reports on Apeks wings, I love their regs; but really hesitant about their wings/harnesses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom