Noob question about cave diving: Where does the air go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That doesn't seem satisfying, water doesn't leak through rock walls at any appreciable rate and It seems like some of these caves could be made out of solid rock. But I honestly don't know so I'll take your word on it.

Still curious about how long it takes for the air pockets to go away though. Days? Months?

You would be surprised at how much water does leak through the subsurface of the earth, and air exhaled inside cenotes and caves does the same, only in reverse. How do you think massive underground aquifers get recharged? In some of the cenotes we've been in, there are pretty significant collections of air along the upper surfaces of the caves, but honestly, I've never worried about it. In some of the centoes there are open areas above the water level that you can actually surface into and take out your Scuba regulator, but I am not so sure that those pockets exist solely because of Scuba diving activity, more through the porosity of the earth above.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom