NorCal Freshwater Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As another NorCal diver here, wanted to also toss in my thoughts. Echo Lake and Jenkinson Lake are great options (Echo especially as its clear and there are a TON of fish to see). I'm only an hour and 15 minutes away from Tahoe and my dive buddy and I are always looking for more dive family around the area too. We were talking about hitting up Union Valley, Ice House and Loon lake this summer. I'd say we all make some plans and hit it all up as a group if anyone is up for that.

I did Ice House last year. Easy entry right off the boat ramp. Visibility was fine (20-25ft) but the dive was rather "featureless". Loon lake looked more promising and I don't understand why I didn't dive there...bad choice on my part? I think there are 2 "Union" reservoirs. I did some kayaking on the one that is off Hwy 4 near Spicer Lake. It was very clear and I could see the bottom at 25-30 ft.

I just don't get around much. Tahoe is a short drive away for me in Reno. Donner and Fallen Leaf Lakes are good spots up here, too. I've got designs on schlepping in a wetsuit and small tank to check out a few others in the area. I met some guys who were planning a trip to Convict Lake, which apparently gets relatively deep. I'd definitely be interested in joining any expeditions!

I jump in Tahoe most every weekend (it was a toasty 41F on Sunday). I've been exploring new sites and collecting info about and diving established ones for a few years now. If anyone's interested, I've got 41 dive sites across 22 locations described on my website, DiveLakeTahoe.com, and I have a few more I still need to add. (I am not a guide or instructor and don't make any money on the site.)
That's a great site, you have all the info needed for, e.g., Baldwin Beach.

That's a great site, you have all the info needed for, e.g., Baldwin Beach.
Thanks! It's a labor of love.

That reservoir where you can see the bottom 25-30 feet down sounds promising!

I have been to Convict many times. Not sure we can dive it but we can swim it? Can get pretty crowded in the prime times.

Looks like it is open for diving. I assume that outside of summer there's not many people in the water.

If you love Crawdads, then there are some great opportunities in the Sierras. Prior to moving from Berkeley, CA up here to the PNW / Puget Sound 25 years ago...... our family had a small cabin in Truckee that we would frequent all year..... In the spring, summer and fall, I would leave on a Friday afternoon for the 3-4 hour drive. On the way into the Truckee area we would stop on the North shore of Donner Lake. Lots of easy entry points. We had a few spots where there we're trees or other deadfalls that had fallen into the lake. We'd take 5 or cans of cheap catfood, poke a few holes in the cans and then toss them into the lake around the deadfall... then go to cabin and get some sleep. Then return the next morning with our gear and goodie bags. First order of business was to retrieve the now empty catfood cans. 2nd order was to grab and bag the hundreds of dads that have gathered over night... Just love eating those little fresh water lobsters and nice to know they are coming from a source that you could basically drink.

Back
Top Bottom