North side dive video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROUS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This was from my August dive trip to GC. Tropical storm Idalia was raging off Mexico and the beginning of our week had big winds from the south. So, we dived a couple of days on the north side and I really liked it up there. (Lumix LX-10, NALX10, BigBlue 4600s, red filter)

That was cool! The coral color along the wall was nice. Nice moray shot outside the lair. How big were the sharks? Is that your voice in the narration?

How big were the sharks? Is that your voice in the narration?

Hi. Yes my voice.

The sharks almost gave me a heart attack. I was a little outboard of our dive group, just cruising along the top of the wall and looking around for something interesting to film. As is common, I could sense another diver crowding up next to me on the left and glanced over to see how I might maneuver to give us more room. It actually wasn't a diver, but an 8-foot reef shark that was overtaking me from behind and passing alongside me. Just outside arm reach.

I pointed the camera at him and then discovered that it wasn't running at the time. So, I started fiddling with it trying to get it going just as the big guy moved off. Then, I had the feeling again and a 6-foot shark passed me on the right side. These two sharks just sort of made me the meat in a bread-meat-bread sandwich. I never saw the big shark again, but the smaller one stuck with us for most of the dive. That was the one that you saw in the film. He just sort of cruised in and out, seeing what we were doing. I've never seen a shark show that kind of interest with a group of divers. It was a very very cool experience.

The channel has two more GC dive videos coming and I'll post links here when they drop. Thanks for the comments.

Wow! That eight footer sneaking up from the back side may have made me ink the water.

nice color correction. Any post processing?

I shoot underwater at 60fps and post process at 30fps; it smooths out any jerky movement and makes it easier (for me) to watch.

nice color correction. Any post processing?

I shoot underwater at 60fps and post process at 30fps; it smooths out any jerky movement and makes it easier (for me) to watch.

Lots of work in post, including color. I'd shoot 60 if I could, but my LX-10 can only do 4K in 24 or 30. If I dropped down to 1080, I think I could do 60.

Hi @ROUS

Nice video, thanks. I have just under 200 dives off Grand Cayman. Reef sharks off the north were rare, saw hammerheads twice. Reef sharks are pretty common off the east coast. The reefs look OK, despite SCTLD.

saw hammerheads twice

Thanks. Our group actually saw a hammerhead at Trinity Caves. Our group, less me. I dropped into a little canyon and didn't see much. But, I guess there was a hammerhead in there somewhere and he took off out of there after I passed him. Those behind me loved seeing him and even got some snapshots of him. But I never saw a thing. Oh well.

I love diving Grand Cayman and will be back there in February. I doubt that I'll ever run out of new dive sites there.

And, here's the dive on the west side. I tried to edit the title of this thread, but for some reason, the site wouldn't let me.

Back
Top Bottom