North side of Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slickrrr

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to get away for my fiance's 40th and was strongly considering Dominica, may even get married while there, kinda leaning towards the north end of the island away from the city, we were looking at staying at the sea cliff cottages and diving with cabrits dive center, plan on going early Jan. does anyone have any experience with the north end of the island? any experience with cabrits? Plan on renting a car, most likely a 4x4 from what I have read, not going to be a dive only trip, we are actually just getting certified now. Any suggestions or experience on this side of the island? Seems most of the trips reports are from the sw side of the island.

Yes. The north end is very agricultural and there are a lot of ex-pats moving there from Europe and the States -- demanding services & restaurants. Portsmouth is very poor -- that's where the banana boats leave (interesting to see) and Ross Medical School drives much of the economy. There's also a marine research group up there that does interesting work regarding new economic opportunities for the island -- when we were there a couple of years ago, they were developing a farm to export live coral for aquariums.

Cabrits is a very good op -- but those used to highly-polished companies may find it third world (like Dominica!) I recommend them highly. Though the DM's are friendly and observant, with the exception of Helen (the owner), they're not as knowledgeable about sea life as those in the south -- and there are some amazing critters to see if you take it slow, explore and keep your eyes open. The diving in the north (primarily sloping ledges) is easy and good but not as colorful or dramatic as in the Scott's Head Reserve (the crater of an extinct volcano.) If you're up for it, try to schedule a twilight/night trip with the night dive at Pole to Pole.

We rent cars from Courtesy at the airport -- reputable, fair and good to their word. Stayed in Calibishie, which was a better jumping-off point for exploring and provided more luxurious accommodations than Portsmouth offers.

thanks for the info, the place we are staying is supposed to only be a 20 minute walk to calibishie, any restaurant suggestions in calibishie?

Dominica is not easy when it comes to finding a satisfying dinner. Breakfast and lunches are easy and many days we ate full, late lunches and spent the evening socializing at a bar. If you're staying at Sea View, you should hit the markets and stands in the villages -- lots of fresh fruit & veggies in Portsmouth -- and do some self catering. The restaurant at Calibishie Lodges (dinner by reservation only) is inconsistent -- delicious one day & tasteless the next -- and pricey. It really pays to ask EVERYONE where to find good eats as there are some gems if you're willing to drive at night. Helen at Cabrits will help you immensely -- take a notepad. Unfortunately, it's been a few years and I've forgotten the names! Above all, enjoy your adventure!

We will be spending the winter in a house above Hodges and diving with Cabrits. slickerrr if you do make it give me a call and I'll buy you a beer. Cell will be working there 250-428-6221. We arrive in mid Nov. and are there until early Feb. If anyone from the board is in Dominica during that time give me a call.

sounds like a plan cherry, making reservations for everything in the next day or two, getting excited

Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I will be in Dominica 12/6 through 12/16 and are planning on wrapping up our trip on the Northern side, diving with Cabrits.

For anyone else who's had experience diving with Cabrits, we're planning on staying in Calibishie but are wondering if it's too far. I'd also like to know if we will need to rent a car to get to/from the dive shop (6 miles, but 20-30 min drive on the windy roads).

As another option, we were considering staying in Picard at the Wellness Ctr/Eco Lodge, but the Calibishie lodges seemed much nicer.

A final question for anyone experienced with diving on Dominica... Where should we spend more time: Cabrits or Soufriere?

Thanks for your comments, and for starting this post!

Cherry, I've written down your # so we'll give you a call (or text, if that's okay).

-Tiffany (& Reed)

My wife and I are off to Dominica on Tuesday (11.25-12.11.08) and will be staying near Calibishie At Hodgesview cottage. We will probably be looking to do a couple of dives leaving from Portsmouth, probably with Cabrits. We will have a car as we are renting one. If anyone would like a ride in to town to join us for a couple of dives, try me on skype at joshpearson99 or email at pearsonjosh@yahoo.com.

We will be there until roughly the 10th of Dec. (give or take a day). We also have a guide already lined up and will be doing some topside excursions such as the 4 hour hike to the boiling lake (also welcome to join us). My mom and kid will be with us be with us but not coming out for any of the diffucult fun things (like diving or boiling lake).

I hope to put up some pics and a report when we get back.

Cherry: Your number doesn't work.

Josh

Well, I was out for a day's diving and the diving was great... I dove with Cabrits. They were friendly and nice and we saw a ton of stuff. Lots of small stuff, EVERYWHERE. Even spotted a couple of rays, our DM even found a tiny seahorse.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to another day out later this week... have fun all

Josh

Looking to get away for my fiance's 40th and was strongly considering Dominica, may even get married while there, kinda leaning towards the north end of the island away from the city, we were looking at staying at the sea cliff cottages and diving with cabrits dive center, plan on going early Jan. does anyone have any experience with the north end of the island? any experience with cabrits? Plan on renting a car, most likely a 4x4 from what I have read, not going to be a dive only trip, we are actually just getting certified now. Any suggestions or experience on this side of the island? Seems most of the trips reports are from the sw side of the island.
Dear slickrrr,

Eddie Tours & Taxi Services is honored to assisting you in enjoying everything there is to enjoy while visiting here. we are also specialized in assisting persons in arranging there marriages, sight seeing tour, airport transfers and lots more. Please contact us via email at eddietours2001@yahoo.com, mobile: 1 767 245 2242 or by fax: 1 767 449 6808.

Eddie S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom