Northeast boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Almost all my diving has been in the Keys, with another 20 or so in quarries. I very much would like to dive in the ocean in my area-I live on the PA/DE border. However, I feel I need someone to "show me the ropes". My questions are these:

1) Am I being overly insecure-should I just sign up and go for it? Or should I dive with a DM the first time.

2) Does anyone have a recommendation for an operator in my area?

I have done many deep dives, but they were in great viz and warm water. I have done deep, dark and cold, but that was in a quarry without current.

Ken

If you can dive well, boyancy, gas managment ect... all you need to get started in the ocean is a wreck reel (and know how to use it), up line, pony, and light(s). Start on some easy one's and see how you do from there.

For boats, there's two in Indian River Inlet in Delware that are very good- Fiesta and the Surface Interval. Just about any weekend on the Fiesta you can get a walk on spot. Surface Interval, I haven't personal been on that boat yet, but I know many people who do and they run a good boat. In Jersey there's the Seeker, breakfast, lunch and drinks included and the crew is extremely knowledgable, another good boat.

Check out the menu of exploration on the east coast.

I have done wrecks, but not real penetration (ie, I can always see my way out). Are the boat dives around here on wrecks always penetration (hence the reel) or is the reel necessary for a non-penetrating wreck dive. Also, I have no reel training-should I not pursue some first?

Ken

My LDS does almost all of it's student dives off a boat named the Bottom Time out of Barnaget Light. The owners are great and very helpfull for new NE divers. If you go through the shop one of the instructors will be on board and can be there to help you get used to the pecularities of Jersey ocean diving. All of their dives are on wrecks, but no penetration unless you are part of a penetration class

PM me if I can be of any help or can give you the name of the shop.

Ty

if you aren't doing penetration or deep dives, you can get by just as well without a pony and reel as you can in warm water. Most of my diving has been in New England, and I haven't used my reel yet. I'm getting a pony soon, but you don't NEED one.

Ken

I think your kind of answering the question for yourself...... If you have any doubt I would get a DM to at least "shadow" you on your dive.....It wouldnt hurt and can only help :wink: You could think of the DM as a guide that will point things out that you would otherwise swim right past.

I have done many deep dives, but they were in great vis and warm water. I have done deep, dark and cold, but that was in a quarry without current

I’m sure your aware that all of these variables can be wrapped into one when ocean diving up in the NE ... Deep, Dark, very low vis, cold, rough.......and if your anxious about the dive it can only lead to more stress and then TROUBLE.

As far as the other info goes....I would check with the boat your planning on diving or as mentioned a LDS.....As I think it can be at the captains discretion if you dive without a pony (most of the boats in central NJ want you to have them). Wreck reels have uses beyond their names (tethering to lift bags for example).....but in the low vis conditions many divers are using them just around the wreck...not even for penetrating. A good light will also help you find neat things in dark holes.

Things have changed drastically since I was certified over 16 years ago.......our check out dives for AOW were all performed on wrecks off of NJ with none of the above mentioned gear (except for the light)......even my first night dive was during AOW certification and 9 miles off the coast.

Lots of good responses here….you just need to be comfortable with your diving abilities….and HAVE FUN!!!!

Scott

IMHO, you should take the wreck reel even if you don't intend to penetrate.

At least up here, the vis can be less than optimal. Deploying a wreck reel from the mooring line will drastically improve your chance of coming back up the same line you went down.

I was recently reminded of this when I decided, wrongly, that I knew the wreck of the U-853 well enough to do without the reel. A couple of turns, a little foray to look for (not touch) depth charges and my buddy and I found ourselves decompressing above the stern of the boat. The problem was, we descended on the bow.

Not a big deal, but embarrassing.

I have not been diving in your area. However, if the vis is similar to New England, you can prevent problems like the one described with a reel. I use a 250' Dive Rite. However, I like Halcyon's or Manta's better.

As for the pony, if you decide to take it along, consider slinging it under your arm. Its easily accessible, is less of an entanglement hazard and can be removed/replaced underwater, if necessary.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy the dives.

The first thing I’d do is fly down to Florida and take a cavern class. You’ll learn skills that will be invaluable for NE wreck diving. It will also give you a frame of reference to evaluate the things you hear from divers up here, many of which are unsafe.

After that go to a local shop and get on one of their trips, tell them you want to dive with someone. If you just walk onto a boat it may be hard to get a buddy. The two shops closest to you are probably Blue Planet Divers and Dudas’ Diving.

http://www.bpdonline.com/
http://www.dudasdiving.com/index.html

You have all echoed my thinking...the combination of challenging elements is what drove me to the post. I am by nature cautious. i am actually a calm diver, with low gas consumption and a lot of confidence. But that comes from the way I plan...at least for me, my ability to deal with the unexpected comes from how well I have planned for the expected.

I will pick up a reel and a pony-I am reading the board for opinions on both.

My buddy in FL is a cave/tech diver and he thinks, based on diving with me, that I am being a fool, but better safe than sorry!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom