Northern CT Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on the NOAA Ship that performed those surveys in 2001. Most of the wrecks that were found were newer, fiberglass "relics" and garbage. There are a few very historic wrecks between Port Jeff and Bridgeport, though. Don't be down on running a sonar towfish into something. Try running one before being critical. The side-scan sonar isn't the only tool NOAA uses. They'd see wrecks with their multi-beam as well.

I was out on the Rudy with Andy Beaver many times and am still in contact with him, even though he has retired from NOAA and in the midwest.

I work with the CT State Archaeologist and the State Horstorical Office and got the raw data from Andy and the TJ when she was up here. So, I have a fair idea of just what they scanned, and I have run a sidescan a few times and know just how hard it can be.

My comment was that they Only found 5 wrecks on thet run because they hit a wreck. Not that they did anything wrong. In fact they are very carefull and their biggest problem in the Sound was not being able to run at night, there were just too many lobster pots to snag the tow fish for night survey. This make the planned Sound surveys twice as long and much more expensive. Not that any surveys are being run in the Sound lately with all the storm damage survey work to be done down south in the Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom