Northern Florida (East Coast) QUESTION!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Waid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a great lakes diver, I am just getting ready to start Dive Master, but my instructor said I will be done with instructor and MSD-T (PADI) by the end of the summer.

I am moving to Daytona Beach in September, to work as a personal trainer, and also to teach diving (on the weekends, or evenings, or whenever I can get a gig).

My question is this:

The Master Scuba Diver-Trainer (MSD-T) cert comes with 5 specialties, I will already be able to teach Peak Performance Buoyancy right out of the gate, but I need to come up with 5 specialties to take, and I want those 5 specialties to be something that is a good solid career choice for the Daytona Beach area...

I was thinking like Night, Deep, but I don't know if wreck or anything like that would be popular or if I should take a stab at some other specialties, eventually I hope to get all of them (everything from Cave to Ice for teaching) but in the mean time, I need to figure out what 5 to start with...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have'nt advanced that far in my courses so I am not sure what is available but...I do live and dive in the area so I can tell you what is popular.
Night diving - great for any destination
wreck diving - extremely popular in FL everywhere
Deep - there are so great technical dives around here.
Cave - to the best of my knowledge you're about a two hour drive to the nearest spring which is in Ocala
Ice - not a likely good choice for fl diving...call it a hunch
Anything related to overhead environment, photography, conservation, wrecks and treasure finding all goes over well here.
Perhaps an operating dive shop here could give you some more real world specific info. I just figured I'd share what I see around here since no one else was chiming in.

Most popular specialty in my area is Enriched Air Nitrox.

PADI has a cave specialty????

Daytona... Seems like Nitrox, Deep, Night, Boat, and Wreck would be likely choices. Photography as well.

PADI has a cavern specialty and to the best of my knowledge, you have to be full cave to teach it (a rather new requirement I believe).

I was aware of the cavern specialty. Just not a CAVE specialty.

I'm not a professional but I would hope you wouldn't teach any specialties that you don't have non-teaching experience and true interest in.

You would certainly be doing your students a disservice if you taught them wreck or cavern and the only time you wreck or cavern dive is when teaching a class.

Back
Top Bottom