Not even a newby yet—needs advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Goddard once bubbled...
The fact is that the most scuba retailers are IMHO crooks (I know I'm asking for it now). Almost all shops around here participate in price fixing and several charge signficantly above MSRP.

James, what activities do LDS perform that make them crooks?

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

I work for an LDS and I will tell you to purchase your equipment wherever you like HOWEVER do not use the LDS as a fitting room to purchase form Leisurepro. If you take up the salesmans time for him to help you to find and fit gear it is extremely rude to go buy it online.

I am a big fan of the ClearVU mask. Nice range of vision without being a huge high volume mask. I am not a huge fan of nose purges for new divers. If you have any problems with your ears a nose purge could make equalizing an even bigger pain.

I don't see how you are taking a salespersons time by walking in and quietly trying on masks. No sales help needed. In fact if the shop leaves me alone while I do this, I then ask what their gas prices are and see if this is a place I want to do business. Sometimes I want sales help, and other times I don't.
I also appreciate not being fed the horror story of online buying. I'll be sold on the attitude, knowledge, and then price.

Laser once bubbled...

I don't see how you are taking a salespersons time by walking in and quietly trying on masks. No sales help needed. In fact if the shop leaves me alone while I do this, I then ask what their gas prices are and see if this is a place I want to do business. Sometimes I want sales help, and other times I don't.
I also appreciate not being fed the horror story of online buying. I'll be sold on the attitude, knowledge, and then price.

The reason a dive shop pays for the overhead to supply the showroom for the masks to be displayed is to sell them. You walk in and try one so you can buy it on Leisure Pro you are doing them a great disservice. It's very very rude. I spend quite a chunk of change on guitars and I would never do this to a guitar store and I don't expect people to do it to me at the dive shop.

If you want to buy a mask from Leisure Pro that's fine. However, if you want to try it on first either drive to New York and visit them or take a gamble that it will fit. Don't waste my time or handle my merchandise.

IMO, there nothing wrong with looking at a shop and then deciding not to buy there for some reason. I do believe that it should be done in good faith though. To me that means not taking advantage of free services when you've already made the decision not to buy from me. I doubt any one will stip you from doing it but your face will become known and so will you reputation if you do very much of it. A customer can fail to earn trust and respect the same as the merchant can.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
IMO, there nothing wrong with looking at a shop and then deciding not to buy there for some reason. I do believe that it should be done in good faith though. To me that means not taking advantage of free services when you've already made the decision not to buy from me. I doubt any one will stip you from doing it but your face will become known and so will you reputation if you do very much of it. A customer can fail to earn trust and respect the same as the merchant can.

Mike says it with a lot more panache than I do

Otter once bubbled...

James, what activities do LDS perform that make them crooks?

Reread my message. I gave the answers in the same paragraph.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom