Not even a newby yet—needs advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barralax once bubbled...
I wouldn't ever use the LDS for fittings if I weren't going to buy from them. I should have made that clear. I was simply turned off by the three I've visited due to their sales tactics, I've only asked them about their prices and what they offer as far as the Certification classes go. I asked for, and got, no advice on products. I'd love to buy locally, and I understand the minimum advertised price clause, and I've heard I could possibly talk-down a LDS, but I don't have the time to hop from LDS to LDS seeing who is willing to hagel without being insulted, it's amazing how many LDS's there are in OKC; the closest relatively clear lakes (I've Heard 8 feet visability max) are about a couple of hours away, I frequent the two most popular of these lakes fairly regularly (boating) and have never seen enough scuba activity to seeming justify the amount of shops in the city. I'm sure I'm talking out of my @*$ here, but the market seems over-saturated. I guess they're all selling trips.

If the guys at the diveshop are *******s then I would avoid them as well.

See if they offer any gear packages. The shop I work for does not offer discounts on the equipment however for those who buy their equipment from us we throw in defog, a bag to carry everything in ($30-$50 price range customers choice,) and a $50 discount on the price of class. Just call around and see if they offer anything like this.

If I were you I would call around and ask them about their teaching philosophy, training track record (any accidents) and see if you can find others who have been to that particular shop. The quality of teaching is more important than the cost of the course.

.. Its just a suggestion.. but most dive shops will let you try gear out for the first couple of pool dives when you start classes. That way, you know the gear will fit, and it's not like you really cheated the LDS, because there gear is for the pool anyway, and by taking classes through them... you have given them a good chunk of your $$$...... I just think it helps to try a couple of different brands before you "settle" for something that you can't be totally comfortable in... because if your not comfortable... your dive sucks!:) Hope this might have helped a little... it might be worth asking the dive shop if they have rental gear you could try out... just so you know... :)

Kayla:)

Kayla once bubbled...
.. Its just a suggestion.. but most dive shops will let you try gear out for the first couple of pool dives when you start classes. That way, you know the gear will fit, and it's not like you really cheated the LDS, because there gear is for the pool anyway, and by taking classes through them... you have given them a good chunk of your $$$......

Actually you have "cheated" the dive shop by using their equipment and buying from Leisure Pro. They do not provide it as a public service. The reason they LET you try it is so you can buy it from them.
Scuba classes ARE NOT expensive. Most dive shops take a hit on the classes and make it up in the gear sales. It brings in more traffic that way.

Edited for grammar and redundancy

If you put this much effort into choosing an instructor you might do ok. Buy a cheap mask if you want but find a good instructor and don't worry about nickles and dimes.

The only way to tell if a mask is going to fit is to try it on. Sometimes you just can't tell for certain until you're in the water. If you lack experience fitting maskes you're at a real disadvantage. If you show up to class with a mask you bought someplace else and it leaks too much to dive in you may need to drop out of the class and go shopping for another mask. OTOH, if the folks teaching you are the ones who sold you the mask ther's a good chance they'll do whatever it takes to get you diving (swap masks or whatever).

Kayla once bubbled...
.. Its just a suggestion.. but most dive shops will let you try gear out for the first couple of pool dives when you start classes. That way, you know the gear will fit, and it's not like you really cheated the LDS, because there gear is for the pool anyway, and by taking classes through them... you have given them a good chunk of your $$$...... I just think it helps to try a couple of different brands before you "settle" for something that you can't be totally comfortable in... because if your not comfortable... your dive sucks!:) Hope this might have helped a little... it might be worth asking the dive shop if they have rental gear you could try out... just so you know... :)

Most shops around here require ou to own your own mask and fins. BTW, classes are a loss leader. Their only reason for existing is to sell masks.

barralax once bubbled...
<snip>

So all that said, I have some bassic equipment questions.

Fins: I bassically have a $50 (LP prices) price range.
I'm looking at some Tusa Imprex Open Heels. I'm looking at these because a co-worker who dives occasionally mentioned that the flexible interior part of the fin would be a plus. Is he full of it?

If you can get a set of Mares Avanti Quattro for the same price (open heel of course) then give those a serious looking-at too. It's a similar fin but probably a little better quality for the long run. If you low-ball fins then you'll be slow and you'll eventually want to replace them. If you're calculating that in then ok, if not you've been warned.

Snorkle: Mares Stream Dry Snorkle. Any Comments?

Don't spend money on a snorkle for diving. Get the cheapest p.o.s. you can find for the OW course because after that you'll probably never use it again. Surface swims are generally just as easy and relaxing on your back as they are on your front and the snorkle is uncomfortable and in-the-way when it's hanging from your mask all the time. If you think you might occasionally use a snorkel then I'd look at one that folds up to put in your BCD pocket for the odd time you need it.

If you want to spend money on a snorkle for snorkelling, on the other hand, then that's another thing....

Mask: Scubapro Crystal VU Single Lens Mask with Purge. I'm looking at this mask because it's panoramic, low-volume and has purge: all things we [think we] want. It does happen to be a little cheaper than some comperable masks, but that actually worries me more than it interests me.

Purge is useless and it can become painful if it presses against your nose. Panormaic is good. Tusa make some nice masks (visualator) , so does Cressi (big-eyes & horizon). A wide field of view is good but a mask that gives you good downward visibility is very handy for manipulating your gear.

hope that helps.

R..

barralax,

You might want to check into a pair of ScubaPro JetFins, you can usually get them for a decent price online. (Especially Ebay, LP has them too) These are great fins.

As for the mask, get something that is low volume and fits well. I think you will have to buy this from an LDS to ensure proper fit.

Get the absolute cheapest snorkel you can find. After you get certified, you most likely will never use it again.

Ok, so yesterday I went to another LDS. I was upfront with the quy from the beginning about the gear. He seemed pretty cool about it; said he completely understood and of course they'd prefer to have my business, but he didn't insult my intelligence either. This shop charges $30 more for the OWC than the other shops around, which makes me feel like they should be more understanding about the gear. All in all they seemed really freindly and professional, I'll probably end up using them for the OWC. I did look at what they had to offer as far as gear goes. Their bassic package was slightly better than some of the others because it included the boots (it was also slightly more $), but the basic fins looked like complete junk. The only problem with this shop, is that even if I didn't need to try and save money on the personal gear, their selction was pretty weak. The next step up in the fins looked okay (but didn't scream this is a great fin), but they only had two different models of masks...

...enter new question: So, now I realize that buying a mask is more complex than simply picking the one with the features you like, but when you all talk about trying on different masks to find one that fits and doesn't leak, are you talking about trying different models or different individual masks of the same model for proper fit. Because if it's not the latter, then I don't see the advantage to dealing with the LDS on the mask if I only have a couple of choices.

Please enlighten me.

On the equipment choices:

First I would avoid a mask with a purge valve. It's a failure point you don't need and some make it more difficult to equalize.

Second, if you are looking to save money you should also look into package deals. Leisure Pro and Scuba.com both have mask/fins/snorkle package ranging from $50 to $300.

On the LDS issues:

The fact is that the most scuba retailers are IMHO crooks (I know I'm asking for it now). Almost all shops around here participate in price fixing and several charge signficantly above MSRP. Of course you don't know this unless you go find out for yourself what the MSRP is. I have done business with every dive shop in St. Louis and I trust 1 for training and 1 for equipment purchases. Unfortunatly, they are not the same ones :).

If you want to avoid hassling with the LDS's at this stage, I would recomend you talk to your local YMCA. If you have that many dive shops I'm fairly sure some of your Y's will offer scuba lessons. I did my OW with Y-Scuba and it was both the cheapest and most comprehensive class in the area. (The only option that took 6 weeks to complete.)

You'll still most likely be getting your lessons from an LDS, but you'll actually make the arangments through the Y. And hopefully, an LDS that is Y-Scuba affiliated won't have quite so much of a Put Another Dollar In attitude.

James

If I had it to do over, I would find an independant instructor. The rare lds that has the same interest in teaching would work but they're hard to find. I would make sure thet this instructor was experienced and could give me an overview of what was available in diving. Most students are prepared for warm water resorts and maybe the local training mudhole but never hear anything about the rest of the diving world.

Once I found the instructor I wanted to train with, I would have a long talk with him about equipment as it related to my anticipated diving interest. I had to replace just about everything because the equipment that was sold to me was totally inappropriate for the diving that I ended up interested in.

If I would have paid an instructor good money for good advice/information I could have bought everything at fu;; msrp and still save a bundle.

IMO, the right training will help guid you to the right equipment. You can't do a smart job of picking equipment without knowing something about it's function in the environment you'll be diving. I guess that's why so many shop based on cpst and color. LOL Buying the right stuff the first time saves more money than getting crap at a great price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom