Do I need a BC like the students wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my instructor ran a different rig for every day. I remember at least one OW dive she was wearing a vest type BCD with an SS1 and an Atomic T25. I raised an eyebrow at the latter knowing what they cost and she explained that the shop's 25th anniversary was the same year those came out so her and her husband each bought one to celebrate. The next dive she was wearing a dry suit and a different BCD but it really didn't matter because I was focused on my own gear.

I feel like if geqr famialirity is still an issue the student may not be ready for OW.

My partner learned to dive before we met. Dropped +$7K on the gear the shop recommended.
Now "stuck" with a yoke reg, integrated computer and jacket BCD.
Could have spent half that on our thriving used market and been miles ahead.

In the pool, I always used the same BC as my students. In OW, I wore what I wanted. Students are confused enough without have to learn their system and yours. I actually bought a bunch of Zeagle Express Techs. They're inexpensive enough, I can add pockets, and they're what I wear all the time anyway. They are a hybrid between a BP & Wings and a back-inflate BC.

In the pool, I always used the same BC as my students. In OW, I wore what I wanted. Students are confused enough without have to learn their system and yours. I actually bought a bunch of Zeagle Express Techs. They're inexpensive enough, I can add pockets, and they're what I wear all the time anyway. They are a hybrid between a BP & Wings and a back-inflate BC.
Second the Express Techs for teaching. One rig can replace at least 4 different sizes. Maybe more if you have extra webbing on hand. I always though the basic express tech without the extra padding and such was the most versatile and economic for instruction. After that BPW's with aluminum plates for warm water or steel plates in cold water locations made the most sense for instruction.
If the instructor knows what they are doing adjustments to fit multiple students can be done in a few minutes.
All are also modular so when something wears out you don't need to replace the entire BC.
An instructor that takes up to 4 students at a time, if the students are average human beings, needs 5 BC's in the teaching rental fleet to cover any combination of sizes. Not 4 of each size XS-XXL.
In theory, 4 student BC's of the Express Tech or BPW style can replace 20 or more BC's in individual sizes.

So why don't shops do this? Money. Money they don't make selling gimmicked up BC's in specific sizes that the student may have to replace one or two times when it wears out or their style changes.

I always though the basic express tech without the extra padding and such was the most versatile and economic for instruction.
I always remove that crap.
So why don't shops do this? Money.
Some of that's true, but mostly it's tradition. It's what they know. Same with teaching on their knees. [/incendiary comment]

Looking for dive pro's opinions about whether or not I should purchase a jacket-style BC, similar to what my LDS that I'm doing my DM training with puts the students in for basic open water training, or if it's not worth the extra money. I own a ScubaPro Hydros Pro with Air2, but have found that sometimes the demonstrations don't translate as well since they are mostly in the Level with standard power inflator. For context, my goal is to be an instructor in the next couple years or so. I appreciate any input.
I found it useful to learn on the same equipment that the instructor was using, even if the instructor doesn’t use it as their personal kit, it gave me confidence that my equipment was also “good enough” for the instructor.

The shop should provide you with the BCD at least for the pool.
When DMing I used a shop BC for the pool to keep my own out of the chlorine. I used my own at the checkout dives so I felt most comfortable with my own equipment. But I could've used a shop one there also.

Looking for dive pro's opinions about whether or not I should purchase a jacket-style BC, similar to what my LDS that I'm doing my DM training with puts the students in for basic open water training, or if it's not worth the extra money. I own a ScubaPro Hydros Pro with Air2, but have found that sometimes the demonstrations don't translate as well since they are mostly in the Level with standard power inflator. For context, my goal is to be an instructor in the next couple years or so. I appreciate any input.
Hydros Pro and Air2...another victim of the ScubaPro marketing hype machine. No dive pro would be caught dead in such a ridiculous set-up.

Hydros Pro and Air2...another victim of the ScubaPro marketing hype machine. No dive pro would be caught dead in such a ridiculous set-up.
Really!!
How long and where have you been diving ?
Ridiculous set up! Another ignorant statement came out from Kata Beach or just you?

Yikes. Well, I'm glad that is not true, otherwise there'd be an awful lot of dead dive pros out there. It's a great kit. I love it. In fact, I'll be in your neck of the woods next week diving with it. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom