Not The Same Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 interesting note in all of this is that the rental truck comes with "full coverage" from AB Car Rental which is included in with the room at the Plaza. It was my understanding if I didn't have that coverage, then I would have to pay for the battery and installation, or at least a partial payment.

Another note was when I checked with AB Car Rentals to see if I needed to report the battery theft, the said no, that they give the police a list ever so often of things missing.......not good.

Actually, with all of the same kind of thefts being talked about going back many, many years; it sounds like it IS
the same old Bonaire.

And you all live in crime FREE places :shakehead:

I've been to the ABC's many times, but crimes are no worse then back home.
It just spoiles your trip thats all.

Ain't that the truth.....crime is probably worse here in the USA. It is mostly just petty theft there....we got serious stuff here. :shocked2:

Walk a neighborhood next time. Do you have bars on your windows and doors at home, do you have multiple big dogs in the yard behind a wall with barbed wire on top at home. You might if you lived on Bonaire. I've been going for 25 years and have never had anything stolen. I have been lucky and proactive. I've also spoken with locals who have lived with this "ghetto" situation for many years.

Getting ripped off sucks. Period.

As Brother Bear pointed out the simplicity and layout of the shore dive sites on Bonaire do tend to make such thefts pretty easy to pull off, as at some sites a vehicle can sit unattended for quite some time, with no witnesses on hand. Also with other vehicles coming and going all the time, checking out conditions, and picking your next dive site, a thief's car or truck can slip in and out, too, waiting for the perfect opportunity at various sites, to grab and go.

Not sure placing a hidden camera would do much, as there are not a lot of places at most of these remote sites where one could place a camera inconspicuously. Besides, if thieves are really bold, I am sure they could find a buyer for a used video camera

I did notice one thing every incident reported by VAmtnguy had in common. In every case the divers ignored the standard Bonaire precaution to leave nothing of value in their vehicle while at these sites.

We have been returning to Bonaire for quite a few years, and in all that time we have seen one pair of inexpensive sunglasses swiped form our truck, but this type of grab and go petty theft has always been an irritating reality about remote sites where you leave a car for long periods of time, like Bonaire. The precaution to leave nothing you value in your vehicle, and to leave it unlocked to prevent damage by searching thieves has been a part of the Bonaire introduction every single time we have visited the island!

I have had similar issues at trail head parking lots for remote hiking trails here, in NY, in PA and in VA. In PA I even returned from one short hike to discover that I had had two tires slashed. :shocked2: :idk: :shakehead: Pure vicious vandalism, for the sake of vandalism. Such destruction for the sake of destruction has not been the case in any incidents we have ever heard of on Bonaire. That nastiness seems to be more a typical American past time.

Crime is so bad in Bonaire, I heard someone stole all the traffic lights.

Sure, petty theft from vehicles is a well publicized problem. Easy defense is leave the vehicle fully open so no illegal access damage is invited and leave nothing in the vehicle you are not willing to lose. Room break ins are a bit more concerning but much less common. I favor larger resorts with 24 hour guards and safes for valuables. The vehicle parts are a tough one. I guess all you can do is park in more open areas and hope for some traffic to discourage thieves. (Still much better than breaking down on the LIE.) I don't believe I have heard much, if anything, about crimes more serious than petty theft. For the diving opportunities in Bonaire, I can live with that.

I have to wonder how much the popularity (patronage) of the island would increase if that one wart were removed.

Crime is so bad in Bonaire, I heard someone stole all the traffic lights.

Sure, petty theft from vehicles is a well publicized problem. Easy defense is leave the vehicle fully open so no illegal access damage is invited and leave nothing in the vehicle you are not willing to lose. Room break ins are a bit more concerning but much less common. I favor larger resorts with 24 hour guards and safes for valuables. The vehicle parts are a tough one. I guess all you can do is park in more open areas and hope for some traffic to discourage thieves. (Still much better than breaking down on the LIE.) I don't believe I have heard much, if anything, about crimes more serious than petty theft. For the diving opportunities in Bonaire, I can live with that.

I have to wonder how much the popularity (patronage) of the island would increase if that one wart were removed.

I read story of a theft on the LIE:

a fellow had a flat, and pulled over so he could change his tire. suddenly as he was jacking up the passenger side wheel his whole car was rocked sideways, as incredibly bold thieves lifted the other side of his car off the ground, and took off with his drivers side wheels and tires! Said something to the owner along the lines of "you get those, and we are taking these" suggesting they thought he was also a tire thief! :shocked2: Not sure how true the story was, but it might help explain the wheel less vehicles that one sometimes sees on the side of the interstate when traveling into the city.

I did notice one thing every incident reported by VAmtnguy had in common. In every case the divers ignored the standard Bonaire precaution to leave nothing of value in their vehicle while at these sites.

Let's see, we had a partial bag of potato chips taken, along with flip flops (found), a hat, 2 pairs of shorts (found), and a cheap leather's man tool for basic emergency repairs. So my question is how do we travel any more bare and not have to leave those couple of items ?? I need my flip flops for my tender feet in between dives. Potato chips for a little nourishment after the dive. A hat so the sun doesn't bake us when we are out of the water. Cover up shorts so we don't walk into stores and such with a speedo type bottoms on. Geez, we gotta live a little. :confused:

And that battery really comes in handy instead of push starting the truck every time we want to start it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom