Now that my Super Bowl commercial has been leaked onto You Tube...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is the :30 second version, which will run in the post-game show. Too bad it's not the :60 on there. The :30 second spot was edited to be seen AFTER the viewer had already viewed the :60 which will air mid second quarter. Accordingly, the :30 seems a bit too fast to follow.

Here's a link to the :30 Second Spot

Super spots
Friday, Jan 26, 2007 - 01:30 AM

imageTNKV10101310045.jpg

(AP) King Pharmaceuticals will spend millions for a Super Bowl commercial that never mentions its flagship product, Altace.

Three commercials – one 60-second spot in the second quarter, a five- second bumper later in the game and a 30-second piece during the post-game show – will instead point viewers to an American Heart Association Web site that offers a tool for assessing risk for high blood pressure.

King’s logo will appear at the end of each commercial, and the company is helping to sponsor the Web site under a three-year, $1 million agreement.

The company sells Altace, one of the leading branded drugs for hypertension. And while the name Altace won’t appear on the commercials or the Web site, King officials are confident in their strategy.

Because Altace is such an important drug in the hypertension market, if the advertisements and the Web site encourage more people to talk to their doctors about high blood pressure, then the odds are good those conversations will at some point include a mention of King’s drug, according to Ray Purkis, Senior Director-Cardiovascular & Metabolic Marketing for the company.

"It is the right thing to do. That's the main thing," Purkis said. "Yes, it does also get our name out there as well. King is not as widely known as some of the other pharmaceuticals companies."

Altace is King’s highest selling drug. In 2005, the last full year for which figures are available, Altace had more than half a billion dollars in sales.

Purkis would not comment on the overall cost of the Super Bowl campaign, citing confidentiality agreements. He said on average a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl will cost $2.6 million, suggesting the cost could be as high as $7.8 million.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that King paid a total of $4.2 million for the commercial time, but Purkis would not comment on that figure.

King will also roll out newspaper ads in the 10 largest media markets as well as in national papers the day after the big game, Purkis said.

The idea for the Super Bowl blitz came up this fall when members of King’s marketing department were discussing how to get people interested in the new Web site, Purkis said. "Someone pointed out that 72 million people suffer from hypertension, and someone else pointed out that about that many adults watch the Super Bowl."

"The way we brainstorm here is not to say NO to new ideas, but rather figure out what needs to happen in order to say YES," Purkis said. "While there may have been some skepticism for a few moments, it very quickly moved to, ‘Let’s see what we can really do.’ "

King approached the American Heart Association with the idea and it wasn’t long before everyone was on board.

"Historically, it has been difficult to convince people of the seriousness of high blood pressure because they usually don’t experience specific symptoms," said Dr. Daniel Jones, president-elect of the American Heart Association and a member of the association’s High Blood Pressure Research Council. "King is providing a catalyst for millions of people who don’t realize they have high blood pressure or don’t think they need to address it."

The ad shows a man portraying the human heart walking down the street. Over the course of the spot, he faces threats from high blood pressure and its accomplices, high cholesterol, diabetes and being overweight.

"The importance of the message to us can be seen in the fact that we’ve chosen to convey it during the Super Bowl, addressing essentially the entire adult population of the United States at the same time," Purkis said.

Occupation: Making consumers buy stuff they didn't even know they wanted...

As long as you aren't selling diabetes :wink: Cool commercial. Here's to hoping people listen :)

Missdirected:
Occupation: Making consumers buy stuff they didn't even know they wanted...

Hey - believe me when I tell you that "being healthy" is one the hardest things to convince people they want! Just look around...

RJP:
Hey - believe me when I tell you that "being healthy" is one the hardest things to convince people they want! Just look around...

Agreed, wholeheartedly!

RJP:
Purkis would not comment on the overall cost of the Super Bowl campaign, citing confidentiality agreements. He said on average a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl will cost $2.6 million, suggesting the cost could be as high as $7.8 million.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that King paid a total of $4.2 million for the commercial time, but Purkis would not comment on that figure.

Hmmm, do you think they'd be willing to spend a tenth of that to sponsor "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" for an entire calendar year? I didn't think so.

drbill:
Hmmm, do you think they'd be willing to spend a tenth of that to sponsor "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" for an entire calendar year? I didn't think so.

Well, you know me. "A million here, a million there. Pretty soon you're talking real money."

RJP:
Well, you know me. "A million here, a million there. Pretty soon you're talking real money."

Too bad you're not talking about *my* real money.

Hey RJP, it's really good! I'd love to see the full version too. Keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom