Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not have lots of nudis in North Carolina but I keep looking for them. Found the following on the Stone. A sunken tugboat in 60 ft of water off Wilmington, NC. At first I thought it was our common regal sea goddess but note the whlte spots. These were quite small. An inch max.
Ever find out what kind it is? It looks to be a hypselodoris, but it's not in my Reef Creature ID, Nudibranch ID books or a general google search.

Interesting. Haven't read the article, but was told that the nudis like dirtier water. It's one of the theorys why there aren't as many nudis as normal at the bridge..the general water quality is good. Hmmm

The current thinking is that our local waters are cleaner than before. The water temps around Palos Verdes seem to always be in the low 50s.
"University of California's Unofficial Favorite Sea Slug Poised to Make a Comeback " - UC Santa Barbara News Release

I hope this is the case, less pollution more Nudibranchs.

As for Florida I need to get out there and dive the Blue Heron Bridge, also want to dive with all the Goliath Grouper before the spearos start hunting them again.

Indicator species are important to our understanding of whats going on with our planet. With all the dire news reports regarding extinctions lately it is nice to hear some good news. I was thrilled to find a Kirtland's Warbler this summer up in Ontario Canada. At one point their population was down to 200 birds, now there are over 2,000 and they appear to be expanding their range.

I need to dive, I have not had any new Nudi shots to contribute as I have only done 3 dives this year. Pitiful I know, but other things keep coming up, skiing South America, birding in Canada etc. I am headed to Kona Hawaii in September so I'm hoping to find some Hawaiian endemics to photograph then.

Glad to see Nudibranch Lovers is still going strong, T

Barge3_zps32985fa8.jpg

Acanthodoris rhodoceras

Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing!

Ever find out what kind it is? It looks to be a hypselodoris, but it's not in my Reef Creature ID, Nudibranch ID books or a general google search.

It is similar to some species that are in the Mediterranean but we have not found a match yet. A dive buddy who is both a better photographer and has more connections in the scientific world has sent out some queries. Here is what I got back so far

``The bottom line is: without the animals (there was a pair there) we will not know who it is.
I have a paper on blue Hypselodoris....(165 pages!)

I think we have a new one here....

In fact it seems different from Med Felimare because its gills are blue without yellow or white lines.

The only one without lines on the gills is Felimare orsinii, but the dorsal pattern is very different.

So, I don't think it is a Mediterranean species.

I have sent it to several Scientists....but the bottom line right now is that we do not know who it is.''

There was also a question about collecting a sample. But they are so rare in our area that I am not willing to remove any. Better that they try to breed than I get a name.

That is awesome.. I have some friends who have friends in the scientific community, if you would like me to pass the photo on..

Back
Top Bottom