Number of Dives not Quality Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Boxcar has the idea. Who ever has the most fun wins!

Frankly, this is sort of like the deepest dive pissing match. Doesn't mean much in the big picture.

Then Uncle Ricky, me, and the rest of the Hodagg youngun's have won.

When you can get up early, drive far, and look forward to a cold water dive in low visibility and mud and slime. Then enjoy that dive - you have joined the ranks of the smitten. There is no better place to be - than with the smitten. You have to be a little crazy though.

We don't see diving as a contest where points are scored. We see it as a lifestyle where adventures are had and memories are made. We don't care how many dives you've done or what kind they were. Unless of course we can live vicariously through your adventures. If you ain't mean we like you. If you are mean we don't.

Last edited:
I did try it and I liked it...even if I didn't understand what the resulting score meant....
Just a "bragging rights" calculator... "My dive was a 1.27"... "that's nothin' - my dive was a 1.3" While playing with that it dawned on me that I really did need to put some limits on a few things, and to add ways to accomodate some special situations, so now, while most "vacation recreational dives" (NDL dives over 15 minutes in reasonably warm water and reasonably good visibility) score between 1.00 - and 1.10, I've refined it a little to start down pretty rapidly for shallower and shorter than the 15/15 standard, but to give extra credit for extreme temps on either end of the spectrum.
I've also improved the ability to go back and correct mistakes by using the ESC key...
Have fun...
:D
Rick

Attachments

• DSCORE.zip
    35.5 KB · Views: 58

Frankly, this is sort of like the deepest dive pissing match. Doesn't mean much in the big picture.

Really, I think I must have been taken wrong again, what I'm trying to get accrossed is that people dive for their own reasons, if people have fun great, I don't like a thread that just asks a number. I think everyone here likes talking about diving, or we wouldn't be here so rather than just saying 500 times a year or 60 times a year, why don't we talk about the type of diving we're doing.

Just a "bragging rights" calculator... "My dive was a 1.27"... "that's nothin' - my dive was a 1.3" While playing with that it dawned on me that I really did need to put some limits on a few things, and to add ways to accomodate some special situations, so now, while most "vacation recreational dives" (NDL dives over 15 minutes in reasonably warm water and reasonably good visibility) score between 1.00 - and 1.10, I've refined it a little to start down pretty rapidly for shallower and shorter than the 15/15 standard, but to give extra credit for extreme temps on either end of the spectrum.
I've also improved the ability to go back and correct mistakes by using the ESC key...
Have fun...
Rick
I now have validation I dive woose. Thanks.

This thing is funny Rick. And cool, really, clever man.:)

I think though, maybe, alter the fend off creature and rescue accomplish part. Provide + for capability to find (not be shown) 1 or more nifty things. Penalizing for needing to handle an emergency but + if successfully handled underwater.

Let in a little credit for sufficient skills that it’s not just being in the water and able to score it yourself after exiting. But diving the site and maximizing the potential vs. kicking up silt, getting lost, where in the heck is my buddy now I see I’m LOA, never found anything just same old same old - kind of direction.

Really, I think I must have been taken wrong again, what I'm trying to get accrossed is that people dive for their own reasons, if people have fun great, I don't like a thread that just asks a number. I think everyone here likes talking about diving, or we wouldn't be here so rather than just saying 500 times a year or 60 times a year, why don't we talk about the type of diving we're doing.
Ok, but you are sounding like you are wanting some sort of acknowledgement you have (example) 5 bigger harder or whatever dives than the guy with 10 easier puny dives therefore should be getting extra credit. And some way for other people to be aware of it. My diving is better than your diving (in singsong.)
May not be what you mean, but that’s how you sound.

Ok, but you are sounding like you are wanting some sort of acknowledgement you have (example) 5 bigger harder or whatever dives than the guy with 10 easier puny dives therefore should be getting extra credit. And some way for other people to be aware of it. My diving is better than your diving (in singsong.)
May not be what you mean, but that’s how you sound.

Actually Redrover, I'm not a technical diver, and never meant to sound like such. I do recreational dives within the NDL, on an average weekend I don't exceed 64 feet. I'm not looking for acknowledgment for me. I just know that I log more dives a year than divers who are much more skilled than me and I would even say are more "active divers" even though I'm logging more dives their dives take more planning, preparation and execution time. In the end I wasn't getting to skill as much as trying to comment on how we discuss levels of activity.

Actually Redrover, I'm not a technical diver, and never meant to sound like such. I do recreational dives within the NDL, on an average weekend I don't exceed 64 feet. I'm not looking for acknowledgment for me. I just know that I log more dives a year than divers who are much more skilled than me and I would even say are more "active divers" even though I'm logging more dives their dives take more planning, preparation and execution time. In the end I wasn't getting to skill as much as trying to comment on how we discuss levels of activity.
Ok.

So Rick…factor number of dives total with years and months diving and what? Days since previous dive and it’s dive score?
Number of life support equipment or redundancy such as pony, multiple regs? Lights as in a dive light here (in general) is inconsequential unlike other environments where 3 may be the minimum. :D

The biggest question is 'what are you logging your dives for'. Yea, there's the prerequisite number of dives for certifications to log for, there's also some agencies that require a certain number of dives over a certain amount of time in order to renew your card. But those, IMHO, aren't nearly as important as logging for yourself.

Some organizations have gone beyond logging by number; for example some of the cave diving milestones are "dives or bottom time", e.g. they need 100 dives or 100 hours of bottom time. This way those that are doing 60+ minutes of bottom time basically get credit for doing longer (and thus fewer) dives. I know many that come to cave country and try and bang out 5 dives in a day... whereas I don't tend to do more than 2 in a day.

A number of years ago I was involved in a dive club (when I still lived in New England). We have annual certificates for lifetime dives (in increments of 100) as well as annual dives. The annual dive increment was 50, but I implemented a change to bring that increment down to 25... since there was a large contingent of technical divers in the club that would do 1 long dive vs. 2 recreational profile dives on a day charter trip.

But numbers aside, it all comes down to why you chose to keep track, and it will differ for everyone. Time, dives, etc will never quantify skill...it just quantifies exactly what it's tracking. Divers gain experience and skill at different rates, and plateau at different levels of skill. Raw numbers will never show any of that.

Ok.

So Rick…factor number of dives total with years and months diving and what? Days since previous dive and it’s dive score?
Number of life support equipment or redundancy such as pony, multiple regs? Lights as in a dive light here (in general) is inconsequential unlike other environments where 3 may be the minimum. :D
This is begining to take on the aura of bureaucratic planning... "Never make plans simple when they can be made complex and wonderful."
Nevertheless, we do need to reward frequent divers, so the following little table/spreadsheet will guide you in assessing the deterioration of experience points between dives...
Rick

Attachments

• score.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom