Nurse Sharks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked once bubbled...
Seabase is in reach from Colorado. We (Mudguppy and I) could meet you there Saturday October 5th. Sometime late afternoon?
Already planning on diving at Blue Hole that weekend, sorry!

Roak

landlocked once bubbled...
Seabase is in reach from Colorado. We (Mudguppy and I) could meet you there Saturday October 5th. Sometime late afternoon?

Come on up and join us on Saturday November 16th. A friend and I will be diving there on that day. Actually our first dive since being certified. Tried to get out there this saturday but we both have been feeling sick.

If you are interested PM me.

About a month ago, we were driving by Seabase and stopped to check it out. ( Returning form Blue Lake and didn't have time to dive.) We were just in time to watch the sharks being feed. Our daughter actually touched one on the nose as it was ingesting some squid next by the shore. A common thing. I suppose they don't look as scary up close as in my imagination.

ScubaDon, let me talk to my dive partner and see if we can swing it. It sounds fun. :)

I run into nurse sharks regularly during commercial bug season in the Keys. The "magic line" you do not want to cross is to grab them, they think they're being bit & will react instinctively.
They'll handle a lot of abuse when they're trying to steal your bugs. Punching, kicking, poking, none of it seems to phase them, but ya don't want to pinch one.

Have you tried (or observed) all of these things?
No, haven't done all of those things to a fish.
I'm way more tolerant of the marine life stealing my catch than I am of humans doing the same.

I've dove with nurse sharks on many occassions in the open ocean. The sharks that frequent the areas that divers do seem to be used to, and even curious about, divers. One even followed me on an entire dive. I've touched them when they've come close enough. I've never felt threatened by a nurse shark! The staff of one operation even named the sharks and knew them by sight. If you're worried about low vis, just go slowly & watch where you put your appendages!

Back
Top Bottom