O-rings, O-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted Reef Scuba, they had every other size in viton apart from 012 listed on their website, they've now added 012 for HP hoses to their site.

USD Conshelf SE2, SE3, SEA, 21, Pro Diver, Octopus, SE2 & SE3 Supreme:

o-ring description..............USD part#...AS586#

2nd inlet fitting/hose............820010....2-010
3/8" LP port..........................820011....2-011
7/16 HP port.........................957004....2-012 or 3-904 ???
2nd adjustment port plug.....957025....2-013 ???
2nd inlet fitting/case.............820014....2-014

and FWIW:

Ikelite PCa diving light:.....2-029

Thanks for the contribution,

Is there anyone else out there who can and is willing to contribute to the list / database?

Just to remind you again if it slipped past you the full database can still be got at through:-

http://www.airspeedpress.com/OringDBconsent.html

The On-line site "in Europe" that I mensioned earlier is still selling Ap## service kits for 19euros and 8euros each, and I've just emailed them and told them that they are showing the wrong picture for the 1st stage kit (the one shown is for a bag of reg/pillar valve O-rings) work off the description not the picture and you should be ok....Click the UK union flag and its in English..ish.

PMs only for the location, never give it out on line.

Keep on bubbling

Brian C

Mo2vation once bubbled...
http://www.reefscuba.com/o_rings.htm

Every time I don't dive my rig (when I go on a boat that supplies the tanks, etc.) I always pull and inspect the O-ring. 9 of 10 times so far, the loaner has a jagged shred that ws once an O-ring. On my 3-dy in September, my own Virto O-ring got lost...I mean, it just fell off my DIN reg. I had to bum a ring of someone to save the trip. K

This made me curious. I have not been out on a dive boat in a long time. On a dive trip that includes tanks, how does the dive boat handle providing tanks when divers now show up with regulators that have either yoke or DIN fittings? Does the dive boat carry a mix tanks with both types of valves? Does a DIN diver have to call ahead and reserve a tank with his type of DIN valve on it?

All new bottles / pillar valves over here in England have a removable core fitted to the centre of the pillar valve, with it in place you can use a yoke type reg, with the core removed you can use a 200 bar or 300 bar Din fitting reg. the 300 bar bottle / pillar valve has a deeper threaded recess so that only a 300 bar din reg can be attached.

So it shouldn't be a problem unless the boat is using gear that is so old that they only have the old style (none core pillar valve).

Yes its always worth a 'phone call 'cos Sod's law will always apply, and it isn't funny driving there NOT to dive.

A point also worth considering is that with the change in pillar valve design there are now some yoke fittings that will not fit correctly over some pillar valves especially on regs more than 10 years old......sorry I cant be more specific than that....cos all mine fit when I've been using boat rental/supplied bottles.

Cheers from the Brit side of the pond

Brian C

I rebuilt my conshelf SE, & noticed that the 2-011 3/8 low-pressure port o-rings that came in the kit from aqualung were 90 duro, but most of what I've read says 70 duro is normally used for LP ports. Does it matter which durometer o-ring goes there? Or am I asking a stupid question?

Ofcourse you can use ANY o-rings what within the spec of your DIN valve!

:shout: What do you think DIN means!!!

DIN =Deutche Industrie Norm

This a standaard, so the O-rings! No magic, and paying 24.99 for a set of o rings, woehahahahahaha

Hi JRG, its not a daft question...

for that particular application 70 or 90 hardness won't cause any problem, just lightly grease then and screw in the fitting then snug it up by one grunt with a correct sized spanner (please dont use an adjustable wrench it ruins the chrome and the brass) so that it doesnot undo itself in use. The compression of the O-ring makes the seal not the tightness of the fitting.

To Sunny diver what was the point of your contibution?

Before deciding what O-rings to use or not to use in any reg not just a DIN reg YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE SPEC IS before you can know if they are to THAT spec.

Do you use chicken fat to lubricate them because it doesn't say you can't use it? On the other hand use what grade of O-rings you want, lubricated with what you want/can get and slap it together in the wrong order because you dont know any better and "Applied Darwinism "should prevail

Brian C

Genesis:
nylocks ought to be available in SS without too much trouble. I'll have to look for the little ones that are commonly used in seconds and see if I can find a source for them....

My aqualung conshelf 2nd stages use #5-40 (1/4 wrench) stainless steel nylon-insert nuts. (maybe others do, too -- I don't know). Even though it's a standard size, it's not too common and it took some searching to find them. Home Depot, Lowe's, the local hardware stores, and most online nut&bolt places didn't have anything #5 size, let alone a stainless nyloc nut with the correct thread pitch & wrench size. R/C-cars use #5-40 nylocks, so the hobby store is a possible source. Apache carries 5-40 stainless nylocks at a low price, but they don't state the wrench size (5-40 nuts come in either 1/4" or 5/16" wrench size and maybe others so the aqualung special tool may not fit), and they have a $25 minimum order -- 900 nylock nuts that may or may not fit just right, anyone? But to make a long story not any longer, I found the nylocks that fit the conshelfs at mcmaster-carr. They are part# 91831A006 and are about $7+s&h for 100, and they look as identical to the original nuts as can be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom