O-rings -- Universal or Proprietary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, McMaster-Carr and Grainger have O-rings and much more, but you typically have to buy a quantity and of course pay shipping--perhaps no more economical or easier in the end than just ordering from the manufacturer of the OP's dive computer?--I guess he'll have to comparison shop. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression his hope was to simply buy some cheapies at his local Home Depot or plumbing supply store. I think the replies have addressed the feasibility of that pretty well.

Those o-rings are surly standard fare, but you will have to do some work to determine size, hardness and material (there is leeway so it is not that difficult). But your problem is you are at a crossroad. The easy path if this is all you plan to do is to pay the high markups of the mfgr and LDS and be safe, Or you can take a more comprehensive look at what o-rings you may need over the next 5 or 10 years and order them from a credible o-ring supplier.

Look around for a "Parker Store", as in Parker Hannifin, giant company with hydraulic hose and fittings and o-rings by the bucketful. Top quality, just bring in the old one. Usually you can buy 1 or 2 no problem, $.25 ea or so. Now days a lot of hardware stores have junky o-rings "may be made in USA, India, Pakistan, Korea, China ..." ie Chinese slave labor makes them in wooden molds using leftover tubes of window caulk.

Hello Jeff,

First off, to answer your question. Yes, a hardware store o-ring will most likely work in the application you mention. But as others have mentioned, for quality control purposes there's a little bit more to it than that. Usually the o-ring that fits over a hose or plug that screws into a high pressure port is a -011 and while you can probably get away with using a 70 durometer (hardness) something around 80-95 duro would be a better option as that o-ring see high pressure differential. The other o-rings do not see high pressure differential, so a softer o-ring (70-75) is fine. As mentioned before-for the price get a quality o-ring (Viton or edpm) just for a little more piece of mind.

Next, do not take a used o-ring to a hardware/plumbing/hydraulic shop to match it up. Chances are if it needs to be replaced it will be out of shape or broken. Better to get the correct size new o-ring to match it up-then buy a lifetime supply.

Below are a couple of links for adds on ebay where you can get battery and o-ring kits for your computer. After you've found the correct size, take note and post your findings in this http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...30595-dive-computer-battery-o-ring-specs.html thread where others have done the same with their computer battery and o-ring information.

Battery Kit for Uwatec Galileo Sol Luna Smart Transmitter New | eBay

Battery Kit Uwatec Scubapro Galileo Sol Luna Terra Dive Computer New | eBay

If all this garbage has not daunted you, have a look at this thread where we discuss how to determine the correct o-ring size from scratch.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...ro-mk20-g250-ten-years-after.html#post5746377

This thread has been inactive for a while, did anyone actualy ever size the o-ring used on Galileo Sol / Luna? I do not have ready access to a unit right now to measure the existing O-ring.

Back
Top Bottom