O2 Analyzer if just diving air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Know a diver who was having a pony filled while at the coast. Filler thought it was a deco bottle and filled it with high test. Fortunately the diver found out when he tested it.

you guys are making me paranoid now I need to make a O2 and CO monitor kit for myself.

Know a diver who was having a pony filled while at the coast. Filler thought it was a deco bottle and filled it with high test. Fortunately the diver found out when he tested it.

The filler didn't label the supposed deco bottle with the filled and tested % and MOD?

I have my own analyzer but dang it, ya'll are making me paranoid too.

I must have missed those pages .. I just wish it would be stressed in the classroom and discussed. Bottomline I had no idea there were even testers until I got into reading about Nitrox. So my point is every OW class should cover in detail the risk of a "bad Fill" and the role of analyzers should be part of the intro class. The "don't need to worry about all that until you get to Nitrox certificaiton" to me is an accident waiting to happen. Seems to me that understanding what is in your tanks is just as important as understanding NDL's etc… Thanks for everyone's input. Will be ordering at least an O2 analyzer next week.

George V

So I am PADI Open Water certified and no where in the book that I recall was CO risk or increased O2 content risk related to "Bad Fills" covered as part of the training. Should this not be part of the course?

George, I'm looking at section 4 of the PADI OW manual, page 188-191. It's in there. The text doesn't get into much detail on how CO contamination happens or how often, but the topic is addressed.

I must have missed those pages .. I just wish it would be stressed in the classroom and discussed.

You had to answer a question related to it on Knowledge Review #4, Question #2.

Whether or not it was emphasized beyond that depends upon the degree to which the class participants seemed to understand it and the degree to which the instructor chose to go beyond the answer to that question.

Gosh, if you already know how to use an O2 analyzer and what a "MOD" is, you pretty much have the Nitrox course in hand--there's not a WHOLE lot more to it than that. Might as well get the card and dive Nitrox now--even if you typically choose 21% "Nitrox." Most Nitrox-certified divers just use the dive op's O2 analyzer when picking up a Nitrox tank. The dive op typically has an O2 analyzer right there at the tank pick-up area, along with labels for the tank on which to write down the results of your analysis, your name, date, etc. In other words, if you're going to analyze your tanks when you pick them up, you might as well do the same procedure as people picking up Nitrox tanks. If you are picking up an air tank, and your analysis confirms it's 21% O2, you'd label your tank just as if you picked up a Nitrox tank. Congrats, you're a Nitrox diver now.

Yikes...hopefully someone had a talk with the fill station guy.

Although it is of course very dangerous to dive below the MOD of your mix, for the majority of recreational dives, it is more dangerous to dive with air thinking you are on nitrox than it is to dive nitrox thinking you are on air. Only if the shop filling your tank has the capacity to make fills in excess of 40%, which is technical diving, will that mistaken tank have more than 40%. The normal MOD for 40% is about 80 feet, and the contingency is below that. Most recreational dives are not that deep. With an AL 80 on most recreational dives, the odds are very small that you could stay deep enough long enough to have a problem diving with the kind of nitrox mistake you are most likely to make. On the other hand, if you are diving air and you think you are diving nitrox, you might overstay your NDLs, perhaps by a long shot. I know of a case where that happened. The diver intended to dive nitrox and set his computer to that mix. He then made a last minute decision to switch to his air tank and forgot to change his computer. He followed the computer and got bent.

If your dives are 100ft deep or less I wouldn't worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom