Ocean Reef Neptune II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy Poore

Registered
Reaction score
I appologize in advance if this is not the correct forum, but I recently recieved a Ocean Reef Neptune II from a friend. Its brand new and has never even left the box. I started to research full face masks, and plan on multiple pool dives when it warms up so that I can get used to it, and to practice emergency procedure and things. My question however is about the side port for a regulator or octopus. Do most people dive with two regs attached to the mask(one incase the main reg fails), as well as having an octo? I've seen pictures of a reg and octo attached to the mask but I would rather keep my octo seperate.

I appologize in advance if this is not the correct forum, but I recently recieved a Ocean Reef Neptune II from a friend. Its brand new and has never even left the box. I started to research full face masks, and plan on multiple pool dives when it warms up so that I can get used to it, and to practice emergency procedure and things. My question however is about the side port for a regulator or octopus. Do most people dive with two regs attached to the mask(one incase the main reg fails), as well as having an octo? I've seen pictures of a reg and octo attached to the mask but I would rather keep my octo seperate.

I dive with a different FFM but I would keep my back up second stage seperate. Practice mask removal underwater and carry a standard spare mask.

A full face mask is all I dive now. I agree with manni-yunk here, keep your octo as a redundant air source separate from your FFM. This way in the event that you must ditch the mask you have an alternate to switch over to. This port on the divers right side can be used for an alternate air source if your application deems it appropriate (ice diving or contaminated water environments). Or you can have a surface air valve (SAV) installed, this way you are able to breathe ambient air at the surface without wasting the gas in your tank.

Thanks guys. I did keep my octo separate and after having dove with a full face mask and becoming comfortable I will never go back! I was getting nervous because everything I read were negative posts bashing the unnecessary need for a ffm but the benefits of having one made my dive a million times better.

537388_10150640711789962_692579961_9521456_187789173_n.jpg
Me emerging from a cave in Devils Grotto with my Neptune II

Thanks guys. I did keep my octo separate and after having dove with a full face mask and becoming comfortable I will never go back! I was getting nervous because everything I read were negative posts bashing the unnecessary need for a ffm but the benefits of having one made my dive a million times better.

Me emerging from a cave in Devils Grotto with my Neptune II

A lot of people think they are cost prohibitive, require to much training, dont have a real need, etc.

Me and my dive buddy switched about 100 or so dives ago - and never looked back. Absolutely love them. I did a few warm water dives without it and regretted it. I think they are more comfortable, easier to breath, SIGNIFICANTLY safer, and overall make diving more enjoyable, especially in my local cold water!!!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom