Oceanic Atom 1.0 Scuba Dive Computer w/ Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrddin:
I am having a hard time with this... This will be my first dive computer, and I thought while I'm at it I'll make it so I only end up with the one hose running off the first stage and rely on the "ATOM" (or whichever one I choose) to do all the work for me. Now after seeing so many people talk about failure and such I am not sure what to do. Should I just go with an air integrated computer (with hose) and compass like usual or what? I have saved up for a while to get a new rig and I don’t want to make a mistake.

What do you guys think?
I guess I could get the atom for a dive computer and then a mini console that has compass and spg?

Thanks

Don't sweat it.....until you are doing recreational level diving, a dead computer (it actually dies mid dive) will not be a large issue....if it dies you end the dive. I had mine with me on every dive without any problems, the air integrated feature is nice and handy, but I have the SPG as well since I use it on my doubles.....but not a must for single tank rec diving.

If you like the Atom, get it-it will serve you well and concentrate on the important stuff......the dive!

At the risk of repeating some of what has been stated here...

I have been using the VT Pro air integrated hoseless computer for my past 70+ dives. I wear it on my wrist, and it has made my diving much more enjoyable.

Why?

1) My gear is much more streamlined without the extra hose. I also have my backup reg integrated with my BC power inflator so I only have 2 hoses coming off my first stage. Easier to set up, less gear hanging, more streamlined in the water and less chance of causing environmental damage with the wrecking-ball spg that I see all the time.

2) All the important info is right on my wrist (no more reaching for the console). One quick glance and I can see everything I need to know, plus I get a reasonable approximation of my remaining bottom time- the computer calculates my remaining air, nitrogen saturation, and 02 saturation (if diving with nitrox) and gives me my maximum bottom time remaining based on the most limiting factor. Cool!

My computer has never failed me. Sure, occasionally the link between the transmitter and the computer goes down, but only briefly, and that's because of my arm position. Bringing the computer closer to the transmitter instantly restores the connection. 1 drawback: When I used a DPV unit, I had to power it down, otherwise the computer could not give me remaining air information.

I think wireless, air integrated computers are cutting edge, the technology has been proven, and there is very little chance of failure. And if it did fail, you would probably need to cut your dive short, and then during the surface interval either fix the problem or replace the transmitter with a backup spg, and go to your backup computer (which should always be carried with you during your dives so you have the nitrogen data. Small inconvenience in exchange for the benefits, if you ask me.

thanks Guys your feedback put me over the top, I just orderd an ATOM... Should be here next Wed.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am now in search of a back up rig.
:)

Back
Top Bottom