Oceanic Caribe Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and to Scuba Diving. I plan on beginning my PADI certification in a couple of weeks. I am required by most Scuba Training facilities to provide my own Mask, Snorkel, and Fins. I have been doing reviews on all the different equiptment available. Since I am just going to start out, I do not want to spend a lot of money on equiptment just yet. I saw reviews on both the Oceanic Caribe Fins and Mask on scubadiving.com.
I found out that the Oceanic Website offers a package that includes both for 94.95.
Does this sound like a good deal? If anyone owns this equiptment, please let me know you opinion on it. Thank you.

kikit24:
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and to Scuba Diving. I plan on beginning my PADI certification in a couple of weeks. I am required by most Scuba Training facilities to provide my own Mask, Snorkel, and Fins. I have been doing reviews on all the different equiptment available. Since I am just going to start out, I do not want to spend a lot of money on equiptment just yet. I saw reviews on both the Oceanic Caribe Fins and Mask on scubadiving.com.
I found out that the Oceanic Website offers a package that includes both for 94.95.
Does this sound like a good deal? If anyone owns this equiptment, please let me know you opinion on it. Thank you.

The fins that you use to dive with are different than regular snorkeling fins. You need a fin that will be able to propel you with all your gear thru the water. Also it would be wise when selecting a mask to actually try it on before purchasing. Not all masks fit the same and having a good fit is critical.

Visit your nearest Oceanic dealer and try 'em on! I've tried the Caribe fins in full scuba, and they performed very well indeed. Due to their size and weight, these would make great "travel" fins, and I plan to buy a pair myself for that purpose.

Buying a mask without first trying it on is "hit-or-miss" at best... don't do it! Find a mask that will stick to your face without the strap in place, while holding your breath (not inhaling). The longer it sticks... the better it fits! Don't forego a silicone mask skirt for the sake of saving a few bucks... PVC just doesn't cut it! The same goes for the snorkel... a self draining drop-away snorkel with a silicone mouthpiece is IMO the way to go.

Spending a little more up-front on quality gear will save you money (not to mention frustration) in the long run.

I appreciate all the info. I've decided to go another route, rather than buying the caribe package. I'll try equipment on at a LDS then check some online prices. Thinking of going with either the Mares Quattro's or the SP Twin jets, not sure yet which ones to choose. For a mask I'll probably go with the TUSA Visualator, if it fits correctly that is. I would appreciate if someone could recommend a snorkel to go with that mask. Thanks.

kikit24:
I appreciate all the info. I've decided to go another route, rather than buying the caribe package. I'll try equipment on at a LDS then check some online prices. Thinking of going with either the Mares Quattro's or the SP Twin jets, not sure yet which ones to choose. For a mask I'll probably go with the TUSA Visualator, if it fits correctly that is. I would appreciate if someone could recommend a snorkel to go with that mask. Thanks.

Are you going to be diving warm or cold water? If you are going to be needing booties and or gloves you might want to check out LP for their scuba packages and then try on the gear at your LDS. I was impressed with the assistance of LP. You are also alowed to switch out one item in the package. FOr example, I didn't like the split fins so I got the Mares Volos. They adjusted the price accordingly. Saved me over 50% from the LDS. :wink:

-Joe

I'll mainly be diving in Miami or Key West Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom