Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris Computer Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say go with the DG02. I had a VEO 180 (same as the DG02) and then upgraded to the VEO 3.0 then sold that for a ScubaPro 2G. I wish I still had the 180, it was a great computer, had all the features I needed and none of the "fluff" that I didn't. The VEO 180 was also the easiest to use.

I dunno, the whole Veo series seems like a totally underpowered series. I was hoping for a 3- or 4-button computer to give me some more options. I'm pretty tech-savvy so I don't need super simple....but I am looking for something that'll last me a bit longer than a one-button Veo.

........but I am looking for something that'll last me a bit longer than a one-button Veo.
???
Veo 1.0 = 1button
Veo 2.0 = 2 buttons
Veo 3.0 = 3 buttons

Albert (aka eDiver)

I dunno, the whole Veo series seems like a totally underpowered series. I was hoping for a 3- or 4-button computer to give me some more options. I'm pretty tech-savvy so I don't need super simple....but I am looking for something that'll last me a bit longer than a one-button Veo.

Why do you want more buttons? The only thing the more expensive computers give you is more gasses, but if you're using more than one gas most likely you'll be using custom cut tables to plan your dives anyway. Look at what you need the computer to do and find one that suits your needs. The DC-02 gives you a nitrox computer and a bottom timer, you can't beat a computer for around $250 that you will never out grow.

You know, Andy, that's a good point. I've been looking for a top of the line computer....but I wonder why? I was looking at a Shearwater Predator or a DG05....now I'm looking at a DG03. The DG03 is AI, 3 buttons, 3 gas mixes, and good enough. I just figured I don't want to have to buy multiple computers as I grow. When will I find the limits of the DG03?

Albert....I forgot about the 2- and 3-button Veos.

Hey Victorzamora you should look at the vyper air you can switch gas o that on too and it has a built in compass the dgo5 is a recycled vt3 which has been discontinue.I think the compass would work better for you than the 3 gas change.

You know, Andy, that's a good point. I've been looking for a top of the line computer....but I wonder why? I was looking at a Shearwater Predator or a DG05....now I'm looking at a DG03. The DG03 is AI, 3 buttons, 3 gas mixes, and good enough. I just figured I don't want to have to buy multiple computers as I grow. When will I find the limits of the DG03?

Albert....I forgot about the 2- and 3-button Veos.

I'd go for the dg03 (or oceanic or whatever equivalent) rather than the dg02 (or equivalent) as you can gas switch on the dg03 so you'll be able to do accelerated deco with EAN mixes and then if you ever move to trimix you can use it as a deco bottom timer. And it would always be fine as a backup computer on non-trimix dives. So basically it should last you a long time and always have some use or other (even when it gets "demoted").

I also think AI computers aren't really worth the fuss (and i have one) but that is partly because i often dive full weekends or longer where a failure of a AI computer means you knock out both your computer and pg and so need to have redundant gear anyways - it is easier to carry a spare spg (and if you get into tech you'll have spare) than a spare AI computer (and a backup computer is a good idea regardless).

I love my DataMask ( it was a gift ) I never have to wonder what my depth or pressure is because it is right in front of my eye really nice at night and for maintaining a certain depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom