Oceanic pro plus 2 nib?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eastelite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an opportunity to purchase a new in box oceanic pro plus 2 for 250. Do you think this is still good today or just plain outdated? Right now I'm using mechanicals.

PP2 with the quick disconnect for 200-250 isn't bad imo. I'm not a fan of consoles that are semi-permanently attached to your reg set. PP2 is a 20 year old platform but is a solid workhorse. I have a PP2.1 in my save a dive kit.

PP2s were my and my son's first computers in 2002. They were passed down to my wife and daughter and performed perfectly until their pressure sensors finally malfunctioned. They were replaced in 2017 and 2019 by Oceanic/Huish for $175. The factory service is apparently no longer available according to posts in a recent thread Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Battery Leak. My wife and daughter still dive their PP2s and love them.

The PP2 is a perfectly fine computer with the bonus of AI. Oceanic air time remaining is quite accurate. I would consider purchasing the computer and share @Boarderguy requirement for quick disconnect. The compass is nice but is not requisite.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

A PP2 was my first computer. I've since moved to wrist mount computers, so wouldn't buy a console computer today, but that's just my preferences shifting.

If you want a console computer, the PP2 is a good choice. It's been a bit since I used it, but as I recall it was fairly easy to use. The algorithm is still in use today. I'd agree with the above, quick disconnect would definitely make things easier. Also, if it has the data transfer cable, that would be a good addition.

Apart from it being monochrome and cable connection (not bluetooth), I wouldn't say it's outdated.

A PP2 was my first computer. I've since moved to wrist mount computers, so wouldn't buy a console computer today, but that's just my preferences shifting.

If you want a console computer, the PP2 is a good choice. It's been a bit since I used it, but as I recall it was fairly easy to use. The algorithm is still in use today. I'd agree with the above, quick disconnect would definitely make things easier. Also, if it has the data transfer cable, that would be a good addition.

Apart from it being monochrome and cable connection (not bluetooth), I wouldn't say it's outdated

This would just be my backup to my wrist computer. Current setup is just pressure and depth gauges.

So the pp2 wasn't nib it was slightly used, no compass, no qd and wouldn't go lower than 250. I passed on it. I found a very good condition (looks brand new) only a handful of dives on it pp3 with compass And qd for $390. So I picked that up.

So the pp2 wasn't nib it was slightly used, no compass, no qd and wouldn't go lower than 250. I passed on it. I found a very good condition (looks brand new) only a handful of dives on it pp3 with compass And qd for $390. So I picked that up.
I really think you made the right decision.... My wife and I both dive the PP3 Plus with QD and love them. Very easy to navigate settings and options.......AI........and most important for us is the HUGE display numbers for our old eyes. Also, user changeable batteries was a big factor for us. We also both dive with backup wrist mounted basic "pucks" so in case of a primary computer (PP3) failure, the dive is over and we still have some critical data available for our ascent.

PS..... We are probably behind the times on these computers as opposed to fully wireless wrist mounts with hoseless transmitters for PSI...... Like Shearwater, but as primarily recreational NDL divers..... the PP3's are really a good option.

So the pp3 is really really nice. Looks brand new, I'm learning it now. Question about the battery o ring which I cannot find any resources on. Does the o ring fit in the Grove in the bottom of the battery compartment? Or does the oring fit around the o.d. of the battery cover?

See page 33..... :cool:

Attachments

• PP3_manual_12-5332-r01_Eng.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 91
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom