Oceanic ProPlus-4 PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK Robert i just seen ur post. I think i may have a plan here for us. I stopped n @ rainbow reef dive center while diving n Key Largo w/ Amoray dive resort"AWESOME DIVE RESORT" ! My 2nd year n a row! Stopped by Rainbow reef dive center & they said the PPX was great! Now my 4th PP-4 did good on the USS Speigel Grove deep dive May 13th 2022. And it mirrored perfect w/ my new backup Veo 4.0 all week long "5 days of diving". But u know diving shallow reefs (15 - 30 ft) u don't really need a PDC other than dive history, temp, depth, etc. You'll need SPG and compass. You will run out of time to be back on the boat before your air is low, as for me anyway. Now the plan is for me, and i knw this will be a bite n the ass w/ cost!!! But i'm going to get a wrist mounted Shearwater PDC W/OUT AI ! I like a hardwired "AIR" Pressure gauge! This will b my NDL soruce PDC. I use my compass on my PP-4 alot and i do better w/ it other than digital compasses. We got to have a air press gauge for sure. We run our PP4 on GAUGE MODE/we got the compass/AIR Press, all in the console. Got to have it anyway! No need to buy another console, yes thats a high price for Compass and SPG but were stuck with a PP-4 that does do the NDL job !!! Or just retool PDC all together. Just my thoughts.
I think HUISHOUTDOORS should have a recall or refund for this PP-4 PDC !!!!

I think HUISHOUTDOORS should have a recall or refund for this PP-4 PDC !!!!
OK Robert, one thing i forgot to mention about the PP-4 PDC's I noticed you were diving Jupiter FL. Was this a "SHALLOW DIVE" ? A dive crew member told me that some PDC like the PP-4 can be all over the place when it comes to shallow dives. It want even trigger your safety stop feature under 50 ft/time. FYI, mine done that, and i questioned dive crew about it. And taking this PDC for a spin in the local swimming pool will make it act nuts!

Well, that's disappointing because I was looking strongly at the PP line. Does Shearwater make a console type computer?
view my reply to Robert S.

A dive crew member told me that some PDC like the PP-4 can be all over the place when it comes to shallow dives. It want even trigger your safety stop feature under 50 ft/time. FYI, mine done that, and i questioned dive crew about it.
Check the manual. Don’t solely rely on what a dive crew member tells you. Not triggering a safety stop if a depth/time limit is not crossed is fairly normal. 50’ sound high, though. My Oceanics (Veo 2, VT4.1) don’t trigger a safety stop unless the dive is deeper than 35’. My Shearwater does the same.

Check the manual. Don’t solely rely on what a dive crew member tells you. Not triggering a safety stop if a depth/time limit is not crossed is fairly normal. 50’ sound high, though. My Oceanics (Veo 2, VT4.1) don’t trigger a safety stop unless the dive is deeper than 35’. My Shearwater does the same.
Yep u probably right, we was diving the Benwood wreck in Key Largo John Pen state prk. Im sure u know of it since your from Largo. I was new to this PDC and dive was 40'-38' ish at the bow, for short time then got shallower, i just figured SS would have alarmed, i guess i didnt hit that threshole. just didnt want no one to feel too concerned if PDC didn't SS every time. I was a newbie to PDC @ that time. Thks friend. Oh PS divers sometimes the manuals dont give you all the info to the PDC.

Yep u probably right, we was diving the Benwood wreck in Key Largo John Pen state prk. Im sure u know of it since your from Largo.
I do know of the Benwood, but I’m from a different Largo. Not the Key.
I was new to this PDC and dive was 40'-38' ish at the bow, for short time then got shallower, i just figured SS would have alarmed, i guess i didnt hit that threshole. just didnt want no one to feel too concerned if PDC didn't SS every time. I was a newbie to PDC @ that time. Thks friend. Oh PS divers sometimes the manuals dont give you all the info to the PDC.
That dive sounds like it may have been borderline to trigger the stop. 40’, I would definitely expect a safety stop.

And you are right about many of the manuals.

How do you switch the Proplus4 to Nitrox. Manual says you can not do it in surface mode. Do you do it once in the water? I don't see the reasoning for not allowing the switch on the surface. Can someone explain? Other than that, it's not to hard to figure out. I hope I don't have constant issues with it. I'm not real patient when it comes to things like that.

How do you switch the Proplus4 to Nitrox. Manual says you can not do it in surface mode. Do you do it once in the water? I don't see the reasoning for not allowing the switch on the surface. Can someone explain? Other than that, it's not to hard to figure out. I hope I don't have constant issues with it. I'm not real patient when it comes to things like that.
Surface mode is what it goes to after completing a dive and the next 24 hours. Once the "Fly" countdown goes away you should be able to change it. Been awhile since I messed with my PP but I think that's the procedure. One of the many downfalls to these computers imo.

If it locks into surface mode for 24 hours after a dive, how can you make another dive the same day. I can see that if I did a dive or multiple dive to limits, but lets say I do a 80ft dive on Nitrox and upon surfacing I am no where near limits. If the unit lock itself in surface mode for 24 hours, I'm sort of screwed for any more dives that day. The manual is really vague on this.

The manual does say that the gas reverts back to air on upon surfacing, then it says that you can not select another gas while in surface mode. It appears that it automatically goes back to dive mode when it submerges 5ft. Then, I'm guessing, you can select a different gas while underwater, which doesn't make sense. I just got is so haven't had it in the water yet. Just trying to figure it out before using in the water.

If it locks into surface mode for 24 hours after a dive, how can you make another dive the same day. I can see that if I did a dive or multiple dive to limits, but lets say I do a 80ft dive on Nitrox and upon surfacing I am no where near limits. If the unit lock itself in surface mode for 24 hours, I'm sort of screwed for any more dives that day. The manual is really vague on this.

The manual does say that the gas reverts back to air on upon surfacing, then it says that you can not select another gas while in surface mode. It appears that it automatically goes back to dive mode when it submerges 5ft. Then, I'm guessing, you can select a different gas while underwater, which doesn't make sense. I just got is so haven't had it in the water yet. Just trying to figure it out before using in the water.
PP 4 = ~$800 right? You could be using a perdix AI (not the 2), peregrine, ratio or deep 6 for less and have a more intuitive computer. My PP and it's quick disconnect now live on my wife's rig since she only dives here when it's warm and could care less about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom