Oceanic VT4.1 backlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landstander

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got an Oceanic VT4.1 which was purchased new 5-6 months ago. While I really like it overall, one recurring issue is that the backlight (triggered by pressing the Select button) sometimes stops working mid-dive. When this occurs I can never invoke it again for the remainder of the day (even on subsequent dives, following a significant surface interval), but it's always been back to normal the next morning. No other functions appear to be affected, and the low battery indicator has never appeared.

I recently met another diver with the same computer during a visit to Bonne Terre Mine, and he indicated that his device does the same thing... I'm therefore assuming this is a common issue with the VT4.1, rather than a defect with my specific unit. With that in mind, does anyone know of a viable workaround to this problem? It was a bit of a nuisance at the mine, since the low ambient light made it impossible to read the screen (and they discourage use of your own light). Fortunately I have an analog SPG and Veo 2.0 backup computer on my console, so I simply switched to them for the remainder.

I haven't contacted Oceanic for support yet, but that's most likely the next step. It just seemed reasonable to check with real-world users first. (-;

Thanx!

The first thing I would try is changing the battery, A weak battery can cause that, the back light pull a lot of current and the computer will shut the backlight off automatically if it hit a certain voltage/ current level. If it is a defect oceanic will send you another defective one back unless they test it before they send you one.

Yeah, I was coming to more-or-less the same conclusion... low battery definitely seems like the most likely culprit. It's a bit weird that the device hasn't displayed the low battery indicator, but I can see that happening if it's teetering just on the low voltage threshold. And receiving the device with a bad/weak battery is actually pretty plausible, when you think about it.

I'll go ahead and get the battery kit, and see how it behaves with the new beastie. Thanx!

For the curious, this was indeed caused the battery. I replaced it just before another trip to Bonne Terre Mine last weekend, and the unit performed flawlessly. (-;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom