Oceanic Whitetip Sharks - Cat Island, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice!

Curious:

What we're you advised of in the pre-dive briefing?
(i.e. better be vertical than horizontal or... vice versa, or does not matter
.. or?)

What exactly does everybody who writes something like "you definitely have to watch out for the sharks closest to you" mean?
What does that entail?
What does watching out closey do for the diver or the shark?
I mean is it about being ready to push off when that close or is it meant like Crocodile Dundee staring down a Buffalo - or?

It was quite a while back so I don't remember what was said in the pre-dive briefing exactly. But definitely go down fast when entering the water and when exiting the water keep your face in the water and watch what is behind you. Oceanics are very interested what's on the surface because they are usually out in the open deep water and often their food source is close to the surface so they investigate everything that's on the surface. Also always keep an eye on the shark that is closest to you. The idea behind it is simple, the one that is closest to you is potentially the one that could give you the most trouble. They are not trying to attack you but definitely will test how much attention you are paying to them. They know when you are not watching them and can sneak up on you. When you stay calm and keep eye contact they eventually will make a turn. If you have a big camera or a stick you can also shield yourself with it and gently lead the sharks past you. When we were diving at Cat Island we were in a vertical position as we were just drifting with the current and didn't have to kick. Being upright it is easier to look over your should to see what's behind you.

I have so many dives on my bucket list now I can never die. Thanks for another one.

Back
Top Bottom