OceanLog USB cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocpaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I didn't purchase the interface cable when I got my PP2 and from the looks of the comments on the OceanLog software I haven't been missing much. However I now have an Aeries Atmos 2 as a backup and I see that Oceanic has now released a new version of the software.

Somehow I can't quite convince myself that shelling out $100 for a cable that should sell for no more than $25 makes sense.

Has anyone found an alternate source for a suitable cable? Is the connector used at the dive computer end something really special or is it something that might be commercially available?

As an alternate, if someone has an Oceanic OceanLog USB cable that they want to sell cheap - let me know!

Happy Diving ,

OC

Do you have a USB cable for the Aeris? If so, use it for the Oceanic. My DH has an Oceanic and I have an Aeris AI, and when I was offered a "deal" for the cable for $65, I jumped on it and we use it for both computers.

didn`t you LDS offer you a usb when you bought the Pro Plus II for a discounted price,...mine did ...and the PPII had a rebate card in the box.......see ya` under

Hello, I purchased a Oceanic Pro Plus II and did not recieve a rebate card the box. Not sure if local dive shop misplaced or not. More info would be great. Thanks

I have a brand new in the box Oceanic cable but it is the serial port version. So if you have a laptop that has a serial or a usb/serial adapter already this would work.

PM me, I am asking $75.00 for it.

I'm a little surprised too at the cost for the Oceanic USB cable. I make my living in IT and a USB cable should be a no brainer. I have the Pro Plus 2 as well. I do want to get the cable, but it chafes the geek in me to pay 100 bucks for a 10 buck cable. The data has to be standard USB 2 at the PP 2 port, unless there are active electronics, which makes it not a passive cable, but an active data adapter, possibly opto-electronic. If that is the case,then I can see a higher price, as you now have an active electronic device, and with limited production - that can get spendy, even if its off-shored. ..... I didn't have a card in the box either. .........poop.
Cindy

Quick comment to add as you look at alternatives. I use an Oceanic VT3; my wife has the older model, the VT Pro. I used to think the USB download cable for both was the same. It was not. After a lot of frustration trying to use my VT3's cable on the VT Pro, I concluded this and e-mailed Oceanic and confirmed it.

I'm not familiar with some of the models being discussed; I thought I'd add this in case you found a 'do-it-yourself' option, or a cable sold with another model, etc..., and thought about getting it.

Richard.

I'm a little surprised too at the cost for the Oceanic USB cable. I make my living in IT and a USB cable should be a no brainer. I have the Pro Plus 2 as well. I do want to get the cable, but it chafes the geek in me to pay 100 bucks for a 10 buck cable. The data has to be standard USB 2 at the PP 2 port, unless there are active electronics, which makes it not a passive cable, but an active data adapter, possibly opto-electronic. If that is the case,then I can see a higher price, as you now have an active electronic device, and with limited production - that can get spendy, even if its off-shored. ..... I didn't have a card in the box either. .........poop.
Cindy

How much do you pay for a Cisco cable those are pricey for what they are. Oceanic use to use Opto-electronics in the older cables. The cost of the cable has come down over the year they use to be over $150 for a serial or parallel cable back in the day for their software.

Any more info would be appreciated by me as well. I work in the industry as well and cannot see what is up here. I borrowed a buddies Aries cable and downloaded my PP2 a few years ago, but now the software say's comms established, then just times out without transferring dives.

The transfer problem is due to the flakey connection to the DC. The Aeris cable works. I have never seen a Oceanic USB cable, but the Aeris DC "port" looks the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom