Ochos Rios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveltina once bubbled...
My husband and I honeymooned in Jamaica in August of 2000.

We spent a week at Grand Lido San Souci in Ocho Rios, and a week at Grand Lido Negril.

Although my husband was certified in ’95, I received my certification right before our trip. Looking back now, I think Jamaica is a great place for beginners.

Our resort also offered the “resort divers course”. The new divers did a couple of open water dives before they were allowed to go out on the boat with other certified divers, so it wasn’t unbearable. However, even being a beginner myself, I felt limited. I received my advanced training while I was there, but the only dive I did below 60’ was a special trip just for me to do my deep dive in the advanced program. Back then we didn’t really care much about being limited – because I was a newbie myself. If we were to go back now – I might think about doing a few dives with a local dive op. However, if you just keep a laid back attitude about it – you will probably have just as much fun with all the newbies, flailing arms, legs, and all!

Before our trip we heard from several divers that Jamaica diving wasn’t any good. Not true! Sure its not Cozumel, but there are still some great sites. The wreck of the Kathryn is not far from San Souci. It’s a 140-ft ex-mine sweeper. We saw a couple of huge southern stingrays on a night dive by her. It’s a great place for a night dive, it sits in about 50 ft of water. I thought the diving in Ocho Rios was just as good as Negril.

We will definitely go back some day. San Souci is the most beautiful resort I have been to.

Have fun!!

We stayed at the same resort and the Kathryn was my first wreck dive. I found the diving to be marginal at best but hey. . anytime I get to blow bubbles on vacation its better than sitting the beach. I wouldn't go back but thats only because I choose to hit Coz, TCI or Caymans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom