Ocotal Nov 20-27, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi-- I will be going on a dive shop sponsored trip to the Ocotal resort over thanksgiving (Nov 20-27). Can anyone tell me what the diving conditions might be during that period ? I dont know the exact details yet, but I know that we are scheduled for daily morning dives which I assume means "local" diving. Will the Bat/Cat sites be available during that period and if so, what might the conditions be like? I noticed that proof of experience is required for those sites. How difficult are those dives and why ? With the exception of a ten day live-aboard trip in the Banda Sea, Indonesia most of my diving has been Caribbean conditions.
Thanks !

Hi-- I will be going on a dive shop sponsored trip to the Ocotal resort over thanksgiving (Nov 20-27). Can anyone tell me what the diving conditions might be during that period ? I dont know the exact details yet, but I know that we are scheduled for daily morning dives which I assume means "local" diving. Will the Bat/Cat sites be available during that period and if so, what might the conditions be like? I noticed that proof of experience is required for those sites. How difficult are those dives and why ? With the exception of a ten day live-aboard trip in the Banda Sea, Indonesia most of my diving has been Caribbean conditions.
Thanks !

I went there in February of last year. Ocotal has fantastic sunsets.

Conditions were good that time of year, 50 ft. visability and temps in the mid to high 70's. Bat Island is a must do and they usually run that trip several times a week. I am not sure if they go to Catalina from Playa del Cocos. The local diving is good too but Bat is where the big animals are. Research the threads for Ocotal and you will find a contact there. He posts occasionally here. Costa Rica is not the Carribean for clarity but I think the wow factor as far as seeing big Mantas, Bull Sharks, and billfish, is greater. A 3mm will be fine there, but expect the occasional cold upwelling. The diving is relatively easy, the depths are above 80 ft., but there is some surge and currents to deal with. The crews are friendly, very contientious and safe.

If you want a friend for life, take a pair of Jetfins & springstraps or a blender down there and leave them at cost. Getting any commodity shipped down there is outrageous. Anything with a plug on it or specialized like dive equipment is very expensive. They really appreciate it. The shipping for a pair of fins was $400.00

Does that help?

Thanks a lot vintage ! Great suggestions on the gift, I wish I had more luggage space, but I'll consider something.

Thanks for replying.

Dan

We were there close to that time frame. The viz was not that great but I loved the diving!!! We saw a ton of stuff including the Bull sharks at Bat Island. We even enjoyed the shore diving. A guy took you out on this old pontoon and you dropped in
on the other side of the bay . We saw some cool stuff even on those dives including a few eagle rays. I liked it there a lot! Have fun!

Four of us will be there November 23 to 30. Look forward to meeting your group.

If memory serves me correctly the currents at Cat were kind of crazy. I do remember the surge trying to get into a cave to see some sleeping sharks was very strong. One member of our group couldn't make it so they made us all turn back. I don't remember Bat being difficult at all. They did throw a line out at the end of that dive so the current must have been a little strong for them to do that. I was next to last on the line and decided to put my head under one last time and I came face to face with a bull shark!
That was very exciting! He was about 3 feet away from me. The last guy on the line nearly knocked my mask off trying to climb over me to get back on the boat!

Also, if you wanted to do extra dives they make you have a minimum certain number of people for the boat to go out. I am not sure if they are still doing this but it looks like you could coordinate your groups to get enough people if there is interest. Also, what they called the "local dives" were excellent. There were a couple of mantas on one local dive and the night dive was amazing!

I am not sure if food is included in your package, but if not it is worth it to hire a taxi and go into town one night. There are some great local restaurants with very good prices. After dinner you can walk around and shop at the local market and street vendors. You will love Costa Rica!!! If you have time go and do the Buena Vista Canopy tour. We did this on our last day and it was a blast. It included a water slide (ask for rapido), lunch, horse back ride, mud baths, hot pools and canopy tour! There is so much to do in Costa Rica ! Have a wonderful time!

Thanks all for the info ... much appreciated !

Mblazer--- I'll look forward to meeting you ! My name is Dan.

To OP, sorry as I'm only seeing this thread for the first time today.

I stayed and dived with Ocotal in July 2008. I am not sure if they're running boats to Bats Island and Catalina Island during the time you're going. Best to contact the shop directly.

Ocotal requires a dive with them to assess whether they will allow you to dive Bats and Catalina. My first day diving the local site a woman and her son both with horrible buoyancy and a disregard for the UW environment kept landing and kicking up the bottom so they were not allowed on both the Bats and Catalina excursions later in the week. For both Bats and Catalina dives it was a free descent and ascent, no mooring or anchor lines.

Costa Rica is not pretty reef/coral diving, it's volcanic rocks and expect surges and current, viz was about 25 ft with lot of plankton. When I say surges, I mean I saw the diver about 15 ft ahead of me swing like a pendulum, going up about 5 ft and then coming back down 5 ft while swinging in an arc from left to right to left to right, I thought to myself, "Wow, what's he doing?", then I realized I started to swing like a pendulum in the water because I'd entered the surge/current he was in seconds earlier. The surges are not all the time but they are definitely there.

We saw a huge manta ray during our safety stop at Catalina, it swam under my buddies and I, by far the most memorable safety stop to date. Also in Catalina, we saw about a dozen white-tipped sharks of various sizes.

Bats Island was a hot drop into the water and a quick descent to get out of the current otherwise you would get swept in the rocks of Bats Island. We saw seven bull sharks during that dive at Bats Island. We stayed to do a second dive and the viz got worse, only about 5 ft and no bull sharks, what a difference an hour SI will do between dives. :depressed:

We saw lots of different eels/morays and smaller rays on the local dive sites closer to the resort as oppose to Bats and Catalina. Saw lots of different fishes. I'm bad with names of fishes, should really take a Fish ID class.

I know you will have great time in Costa Rica, both diving and topside. Their topside attractions when you're off-gassing are tremendous. Active volcano, rain forest (you can do the suspended bridge tours or swing from the trees), ATV, the wild life and biodiversity of the country is like a living biology class.

Safe travels and safe dives. Report back so we can hear all about your trip. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom