Octo/inflator in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esp if you have an wireless AI computer and divng wet, only two hoses on the 1st stage, so real quick setup: hook up regulator to tank, connect to inflator, and done.

Imagine what you can do with all the time you save by not having to... um... uh... well...

Remind me again... what part of gear set-up is obviated by eliminating the hose from an alternate reg?

:rofl3:

Imagine what you can do with all the time you save by not having to... um... uh... well...

Remind me again... what part of gear set-up is obviated by eliminating the hose from an alternate reg?

Even with an air integrated wireless computer, (which I probably will buy eventually), I'd still want a good old metal SPG as backup.

Now regarding the Air2 inflator, I can see the benefit of eliminating the hose. It reduces drag and it's one less failure point. However, the Air2 reg is going to produce more drag than a standard power inflator and arguably more than a power inflator + separate octopus if the octo is worn necklaced under the diver's chin. So dragwise, it's probably a wash.

One less regulator to worry about when putting on the bcd, i.e. necklaced octo or regular octo on a clip. So once you have your bcd on, you only worry about your main reg----no octo to forget to clip or put on the necklace. Want a pretty picture too ? :shakehead: I've been through rough surf plenty of times, get knocked down and than guess what, the octo comes out of the necklace or the clip (I've tried both)

Plus one less failure point, is that so bad? Sorry but a hose failing isn't unheard of and if you can eliminate one and streamline, cool!

Now I simply put on the bcd, I know exactly where the octo/inflator is at and can't forget and only have to worry about my main reg.

Seriously we get it, YOU DON'T LIKE THE AIR2 CONCEPT----WE REALLY GET IT, MOVE ON PLEASE! You are a god to diving and we are all mere mortals in comparison to your skills.

Stop trolling, make your point, move on. Very sad that you need to point out how many Air2 posts you have, how about less posting and more diving?

The point of the thread was to provide information, not to ridicule people, blank generic useless posts that do nothing but contribute to the negative atmosphere on the board.

A recent thread and others have got me thinking...

Alot of people on here have stated that Air2's, or similar style safe second is great for tropical, warm water diving, but they say they wouldn't use them in cold water. While I can certainly see the reasoning for this in a cave or other overhead environment, I'm curious why people are skeptical of their use in cold water recreational diving. What's the reasoning behind this?

I started my cold water dive career with an Air 2, one less hose, it worked fine and I really liked it.

But after a bit more experience and after the Rescue class, I began to see that a traditional octo was a better solution for air sharing because the donated octo reg hose is longer, is designed for air sharing, and a separate inflator gives you better control of your buoyancy during an air sharing ascent. Among its many benefits, Rescue makes you think not just about yourself, but about the bigger picture.

Also, experienced technicians have told me that many divers treat their Air2 regulators as part of the BCD, and they don't receive the regular attention and maintenance that a regulator deserves. I know that isn't the Air2's fault, but still...

Bottom line for me was, if I am OOA at 120' in cold dark water, what kind of regulator rigging would I want my buddy to have? My wife and I now use the octos.

So to the OP.... How cold is cold?

I was specifically referring to non-ice diving, as to me that would be getting beyond "recreational". Cold to me would be in the 40's on up. I haven't bothered looking to see if my SS1 is approved for use under ice or in extreme cold water but I haven't gotten into water that's colder than about 42F for any length of time.

All of my diving as of recently has been with my wife, and we are both using identical rigs (Atomic SS1). We both think they breathe great at all depths we commonly encounter (85' and above). I do feel that they are a little bit bulkier and perhaps a little less comfortable to breathe out of than my primary reg (much better if I "unbuckle" it from my BC by way of undoing the velcro strap), I still feel that it's much more comfortable than my old oceanic swivel octo was.

I asked as well, because after the Ice class I felt the same as Mike Boswell did. Switched to a 7ft main and necklace octo. Hubby and I have always dove the same regs, so we made the switch together. In the case of an emergency it is going to be far more comfortable for both of us to assist with a little allowable distance between us. Rescue class was also a blast as there were some needing rescuing (scenarios) that had drysuit and tech rig configurations- you should be familiar with all of them anyway.

Anything in that temperature range I had no problems with the SS1. I noticed the difficult hose bend I believe you are referring to- you could try switching the hose to a miflex for much more comfort. I was very glad I did that change.

I have a Dive Rite Inflator Octo. I use it for cold water recreational diving. I have a longer blue MiFlex hose on my Jetstream (Side Exhaust) regulator for donating if the need arises. I just inform everyone before each dive. I have no problems with this configuration. I also have a pull dump on the inflator.

Seriously we get it, YOU DON'T LIKE THE AIR2 CONCEPT----WE REALLY GET IT, MOVE ON PLEASE! You are a god to diving and we are all mere mortals in comparison to your skills.

Only the coolest of the cool dive with long/short hoses setup, mechanical gauges and mechanical watches.

The rest of us neophytes ARE GONNA DIE because we use inline octos and air integrated computers.

Even with an air integrated wireless computer, (which I probably will buy eventually), I'd still want a good old metal SPG as backup.

There's an argument to say that would introduce an additional failure point.
If your (single, mechanical or gas integrated) spg fails, then just make a safe ascent.

There's an argument to say that would introduce an additional failure point.
If your (single, mechanical or gas integrated) spg fails, then just make a safe ascent.

True, but sometimes the convenience of something is worth it. Being able to see my air pressure right there on my wrist is something I would consider worthwhile.

The reason I'd keep the SPG though is that in my experience dive computers are unreliable. I'm waiting to get my IQ700 back from the factory right now. I don't want to have to cancel a whole days diving just because my computer decides to crap out on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom